• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign White on a roll

Chuck Taylor

Hello, all - we are looking at doing a very large piece of sign white on an existing light box. This sign will be 48" high x 354" wide.
We were thinking of using a 51" Duraplex Impact Resistant Acrylic Roll material as we felt it would be easier to work with and transport.

Does anyone have experience using this rolled material (we have always just worked with sheets until now.

1. How difficult is this material to cut from it's standard 51" h down to 48" h (material is a 4.5ml which translates to 0.177" thick) and is this something that could be done using an Exacto knife?

2. How difficult is this roll material to install - ie: there are usually just 2 of us on each end of a ladder doing installations, is it feasible for us to assume this is something that we could install this way?

Note - we are going to apply printed / translucent CAD cut graphics to the face (not a solid coverage). Does anyone think the applied vinyl would not be okay when rolled up - ie: not lift from the acrylic when temporarily rolled up for transport?

Thank you in advance for your information and recommendations - much appreciated!

1724875503847.png

Attachments

• 1724876077084.png
    1724876077084.png
    13 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

unclebun

If you've never handled this material, the word "roll" is throwing you. Although it comes to the supplier on a roll, once you get your 30' cut off, although the supplier will roll it to deliver it, it will not want to go back into a roll without a huge fight. It's really more like a floppy sheet material.

You cannot cut it with a knife. You will need a saw to cut it down to 48". A Skilsaw type saw will suffice but you need a fine toothed blade, not the kind you use for cutting lumber. Cutting it will produce noxious fumes and piles and piles of static-cling dust. You also need to keep the blade speed down. If you run it too fast the plastic will melt.

Rolling the sign face after decoration will be difficult and you'll really need to be careful not to destroy the graphics by scratching them. And releasing the roll can be dangerous to eyes, fingers, and such. And maybe knock you down.

Installing a 30' long face is not for the faint of heart. If you have to do it from the end of the sign you'll have to get the entire piece of polycarb up and level with the sign to get it to slide in. I don't think just two guys on ladders will cut it.

Did the existing sign use a polycarb face?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You will have to cut it with a saw. It's not hard.

You can roll it up after making the sign. I tape over the edges so it doesn't scratch the face. I roll it buy creating the loop and laying on it while I close it up. then I use ratchet straps to keep it closed. I can do it by myself but easier to have two people.

How high is this sign going? Two people on a ladder will be a joke... that sheet is heavy and floppy. You might consider splitting it into two 15' sections and seam the middle. For 30', I'd use two bucket trucks to handle that.

When you unroll it... get ready to ride the bull.
cowboy-jpg.166248

JBurton

Signtologist
Also, impact modified acrylic is not polycarbonate. Poly could be dropped from 10' and bounce. Impact modified acrylic will crack when you least expect it. It's way tougher than acrylic, but not nearly as tough as poly.
Rolling it is not the worst, but wrap the leading edge in cardboard, lay on it like tex, and have a c clamp handy to affix it before you strap it, unless you've planned ahead and layed a strap out where you'll end up rolling it to.
Also, .177 is heavy, we use it everywhere, but man .118" is a lot easier to roll and heave around, but it'll hotspot more than the thicker stuff.
Avoid knifing anything on the sign face, something this big can just split at a cut across the face.
Are you sure you don't just want to get a flex face and retro kit?

Chuck Taylor

You will have to cut it with a saw. It's not hard.

You can roll it up after making the sign. I tape over the edges so it doesn't scratch the face. I roll it buy creating the loop and laying on it while I close it up. then I use ratchet straps to keep it closed. I can do it by myself but easier to have two people.

How high is this sign going? Two people on a ladder will be a joke... that sheet is heavy and floppy. You might consider splitting it into two 15' sections and seam the middle. For 30', I'd use two bucket trucks to handle that.

When you unroll it... get ready to ride the bull.
cowboy-jpg.166248
OMG - that picture and analogy made me LOL...
Fortunately, this is a ground floor install, but still, it sounds like it would be a nightmare to try to do with two people, in one piece.
Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions - much appreciated!

JBurton

Signtologist
this is a ground floor install
That'll be so much easier, but you'll probably want to take the top trim and one side off, set the monster into the bottom trim, then slide it over and mount the top and side trim back on. Pushing 30' means you need 30' of clear space, and one person to pull, one to hold up the center, and one to hold up the end.

Chuck Taylor

Also, impact modified acrylic is not polycarbonate. Poly could be dropped from 10' and bounce. Impact modified acrylic will crack when you least expect it. It's way tougher than acrylic, but not nearly as tough as poly.
Rolling it is not the worst, but wrap the leading edge in cardboard, lay on it like tex, and have a c clamp handy to affix it before you strap it, unless you've planned ahead and layed a strap out where you'll end up rolling it to.
Also, .177 is heavy, we use it everywhere, but man .118" is a lot easier to roll and heave around, but it'll hotspot more than the thicker stuff.
Avoid knifing anything on the sign face, something this big can just split at a cut across the face.
Are you sure you don't just want to get a flex face and retro kit?
Hey, thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm not familiar with "flex-face or retro kit", but will go back to my supplier and see if they can offer us this option as well.

Chuck Taylor

That'll be so much easier, but you'll probably want to take the top trim and one side off, set the monster into the bottom trim, then slide it over and mount the top and side trim back on. Pushing 30' means you need 30' of clear space, and one person to pull, one to hold up the center, and one to hold up the end.
Thanks again for all your suggestions, really appreciate your taking the time to help us out today :)

Chuck Taylor

If you've never handled this material, the word "roll" is throwing you. Although it comes to the supplier on a roll, once you get your 30' cut off, although the supplier will roll it to deliver it, it will not want to go back into a roll without a huge fight. It's really more like a floppy sheet material.

You cannot cut it with a knife. You will need a saw to cut it down to 48". A Skilsaw type saw will suffice but you need a fine toothed blade, not the kind you use for cutting lumber. Cutting it will produce noxious fumes and piles and piles of static-cling dust. You also need to keep the blade speed down. If you run it too fast the plastic will melt.

Rolling the sign face after decoration will be difficult and you'll really need to be careful not to destroy the graphics by scratching them. And releasing the roll can be dangerous to eyes, fingers, and such. And maybe knock you down.

Installing a 30' long face is not for the faint of heart. If you have to do it from the end of the sign you'll have to get the entire piece of polycarb up and level with the sign to get it to slide in. I don't think just two guys on ladders will cut it.

Did the existing sign use a polycarb face?
This sounds a lot more difficult than we initially thought... always good to check with the ones who have "been there, done that".

I'm not sure what material the existing sign was done in, we just assumed regular sign white, but now realize it could be something else as well.

Fortunately, do work with an installation company that has a crew of guys, so will probably turn this over to them, and of course I will need to factor in transport of this piece to the site as well if it's dangerous to re-roll this stuff after applying the branding.

Sincerely appreciate all the info provided, Unclebun - much appreciated!

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
This sounds a lot more difficult than we initially thought... always good to check with the ones who have "been there, done that".

I'm not sure when material the existing sign was done in, we just assumed regular sign white, but now realize it could be something else as well.

Fortunately, do work with an installation company that has a crew of guys, so will probably turn this over to them, and of course I will need to factor in transport of this piece to the site as well if it's dangerous to re-roll this stuff after applying the branding.

It's not dangerous to re roll. Like burton said, I place the strap at the end so when my roll is complete, I can lean over and grab the end of the strap and close it. It's nice transporting them rolled up.

can you post a picture of the sign cabinet so we can have a better look? pictures are worth 1000 words...and maybe a 1000 answers.

20190718_071615.jpg

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

I'm not sure when material the existing sign was done in, we just assumed regular sign white, but now realize it could be something else as well.

It's not dangerous to re roll. Like burton said, I place the strap at the end so when my roll is complete, I can lean over and grab the end of the strap and close it. It's nice transporting them rolled up.

can you post a picture of the sign cabinet so we can have a better look? pictures are worth 1000 words...and maybe a 1000 answers.

View attachment 173300

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

View attachment 173300

Chuck Taylor

View attachment 173300
Interesting... this is what the existing light box looks like. And thank you for your suggestion regarding rolling them back up, as I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to transport something that is 30' long to the job site, without blowing the entire budget on transporting this beast!

Last edited:

Chuck Taylor

View attachment 173300
Interesting... this is what the existing light box looks like. And thank you for your suggestion regarding rolling them back up, as I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to transport something that is 30' long to the job site, without blowing the entire budget on transporting this beast!

Chuck Taylor

View attachment 173300

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
humm, by the photos it could be poly. has a shine to it and the retainers look like a slide in face. hard to tell how install would go because i can't see the surrounding area. PM me the address if it's viewable on google street view and I could give you some pointers.

making, cutting and transporting are not going to be issues.. install will be the tricky part.

Chuck Taylor

humm, by the photos it could be poly. has a shine to it and the retainers look like a slide in face. hard to tell how install would go because i can't see the surrounding area. PM me the address if it's viewable on google street view and I could give you some pointers.

making, cutting and transporting are not going to be issues.. install will be the tricky part.

I checked google earth, and it doesn't show the face of this building unfortunately, but here is another picture for reference.

Also, the material we are thinking of using is listed as a PC so I'm assuming its a white 4.5mm polycarbonate, my apologies for not saying that earlier. We were thinking about doing the job in-house, but I do have a supplier who can also handle the production for us and they have spec'd out PC.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
you might could pull that off with two guys and a scissor lift but it could be a struggle... two scissor lifts and two or three people would make it a breeze. the customer pays for install so bake the cost in to make it easy on yourself.