• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signcades

ABPGraphics

anyone have any suggestions - I have the 3'x2' signcade white A-Frames - I am printing on 3651 oracal with 210 laminate - how do you guys prep your signcades? - I am having a heck of a time having the vinyl adhere - I have tried sanding with a light sand paper and heating the surface first - but the vinyl does not want to stay down - I am using dry application but still I could pull it off easy - any suggestions - PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

TheSnowman

All mine I buy have a sticker on them that says you have to clean w/ alcohol and then torch it. I've never once had problems with them sticking directly to the surface.

jiarby

I mount to coro and use six stainless screws to attach the sign (4 corners and the middle sides where it would bow out)

Never had anyone complain.

signage

When you torch it you will see the moisture/oils leave. If you use too much heat or do not move while doing it, it will melt!

SignaramaFL

the signacades that I get come with a warning that straight vinyl will not adhere to it. I also just apply to coro and then mount on there, it makes it nice as a selling point to customers IE: interchangeable signs ;)

Billct2

We use a plumbers torch and go over it several times, you can see the "halo" as it
changes the plastic.

miker

+1 for torching. just go over it at a semi quick pace. you'll visibly see the change, and then you are all set to mount. I have used 3651 with no problems.

MontereySigns

Adhesion to plastics

Most of the plastic A-Frames are made from polyethylene, a low surface-energy plastic. By its oily nature most adhesive vinyl films won't stick to it.

Heating the surface of this material with a flame torch increases the surface energy of this plastic thereby increasing adhesion. You should apply the vinyl film immediately after torching. Any good brand of adhesive vinyl film should work, although one with a solvent-based adhesive will be more reliable. This method works great for short run of A-frame signs.

If you have a large run of A-frame signs, consider using a material especially for plastics which will save you all the labor time of torching. LG just developed a product for this named LD3870. It's about $240 for a 54" x 150' roll so it's an affordable solution.

-Bud

GypsyGraphics

Heat Gun, NO
Crème Brûlée Torch, in a pinch, but NO
BernzOmatic... yeah baby!

(after taking the advice of s101'ers just a few weeks ago)

attachment.php

some actually have a sticker on them, but i guess they forget to torch the surface first...
cuz the instructions usually fall off.

attachment.php

Attachments

• SignWellness.jpg
    SignWellness.jpg
    224 KB · Views: 163
  • plasticade.jpg
    plasticade.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

GypsyGraphics

JR... the coolest thing is... now i can offer signs raw, al dente, lightly toasted, well done or blackened.
most clients like theirs "well done" but blackened is the most fun.

mums the word on the blackened option... or my husband might take my torch away.