Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signcut won't open .ai files

Discussion in 'General Software' started by oc63rag, Jun 26, 2007.

1. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    I'm having a rough time with this. I just installed Signcut X2 to cut with my Summa D60. I'm designing in Illustrator CS2. After I save a .ai file and go to open it in Signcut, Signcut just closes. I can open and cut all the sample files that come in Signcut and Illustrator (but just the sample files).
    It doesn't matter if I click on "Import" or "File", "Open" - Signcut will read the file and just before opening it it just closes.
    Anyone run into this?
    I've emailed Signcut's tech support twice today and haven't heard back from them.
    I'm running Mac os 10.3.9, Illy CS2 and Signcut X2 PE.
    Thanks for any help

Tags:
  2. Ron Helliar

Ron Helliar Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Try and save to an old version (8. or below). There's a good chance your bridge cutter can't accept CS2 native yet. Or try converting fonts to outlines, you could have a rouge font.

3. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    save as eps file

save as eps file

4. LightHouse

LightHouse Member

Mar 17, 2007
    have you tried more than one AI file? i had it do that to me once and it was a bad file.

5. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    This is really frustrating. I've tried eps, legacy eps, legacy .ai, converted fonts to outlines, nothing works. I emailed Signcut's tech support again but haven't heard back yet.

6. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Save as legacy version 3 ... either AI or EPS.

7. LightHouse

LightHouse Member

Mar 17, 2007
    have you used their web support? thats where i get the fastest same day response from them.

8. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. Still no go. Legacy version 3 for both eps and ai still closes the application.
    I did try their web support. I'll wait to hear back from them.

9. oc63rag

oc63rag Member

May 7, 2007
    Success! This may be lameness on my part but when working in Illustrator, if I selected the image, and then did a live trace, then went to "File", "Send to Signcut" I could import the image in Signcut and cut from there.
    Is this a common step that I just didn't know about?

10. crafty1

crafty1 New Member

Apr 5, 2007
    can't cut with signcut

I don't have the send to signcut option in my version of illistrator. How do I cut?

Please help!!!!

11. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Save as a version 3 AI or EPS and then open that in Signcut.