• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signlab 11 disappointing

Bcrawf

I downloaded the free trial upgrade (I'm using Signlab 10 Print & Cut) Is it me or any other users feel this is not worth the upgrade price? Even at 50% off ($1350.00 -50% = $675.00) Not even worth $200.

Neil

I have just bought the upgrade, but I'm coming from version 8 so I expect to see some improvements.
It's on a new computer which I haven't switched over to yet, so I'm not using version 11 yet.

I did have a good look at the trial. There's a few things in there that helped me decide to upgrade.
Mainly for me is the newer icc profiling module. I was able to create a good printmode with my i1 spectrophotometer and their software.
But, the trial ended before I could fully test it. They offered the profiling module for half price too, so I bundled that.

Will keep you posted. It'd be good to have someone to discuss things with.

heyskull

I am on 9.1 now and may need to upgrade one day but I have 6 copies so it isn't going to be a cheap deal.
Also I cannot see enough change to warrant the upgrade.
I always found the RIP part of the program was a very complicated and it was as if Cadlink expected you to set up profiles.
I am using Versaworks now and it seems a lot simpler and more like what you see is what you get.
Things get too involved when trying to print all the colours in the universe out of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black.
I understand that this program can now handle multi-processors but when pitched against 9.1 the speed difference is so slight you would hardly see any differece.
I thought with Cadlink being taken over by a new company there would be fresh ideas but it just looks like a re-hash of what we have already.
I love the way Corel Suite has grown over the years and had hoped Signlab to head in this direction.

SC

Neil

You're right, there's just not much changed - at least on the surface.
In one way that's a good thing though, it doesn't take much adjusting to. Everything can be set up just like previous versions.

The biggest surprise to me was the quality of the inbuilt profiles. And the profiling. Yet, they don't even promote that.
Instead they promote a tweaked vectorizing module and power weed...

I think things like the Signlab to Versaworks stuff got improved too. Easier to send print and cut files to other rips.

I'm still not using v11 yet, so I don't have much to add at this stage.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
The best reason I have found to upgrade any print & cut program is for the drivers fro a new printer or other piece of equipment.
If I didn't have a Epson 40600, I would still be using flexi 8.6.
I do have a copy of signlab also but don't use it much.

WildWestDesigns

I thought with Cadlink being taken over by a new company there would be fresh ideas but it just looks like a re-hash of what we have already.
It's hard to do that with programs that are long in the tooth as some of the ones have gotten (it (at least CADlink is over 30 yrs if I'm not mistaken). Even if they do innovate, it seems like they are hacked on there (which to a degree is understandable, especially without a refractor).

As was already mentioned, probably the best thing to realistically hope for is just to keep up with the hardware tech out there (I'm not one for big UI changes, even falling into modern trends, this is commercial production software, it's a different animal compared to a normie consumer software product).