• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

signlab 8 saves files in the wrong directory...sort of

gabagoo

I have sat here perplexed at times trying to locate files that I absolutely know I have, and saved at the time of making them, but mysteriously they can't be found.....

I think I have figured out why and how this is occuring. My old Signlab 5 never did this and I have never seen it happen in any other software I worked in so I wonder if it might be a windows issue (7 pro)...not sure but this is what happens...

If I open an existing file in a root directory of lets say abc customer and then I modify it and make changes...I then "save as" and give it a new file name. Now because I opened it in that directory, one would figure that it would save it in that directory.
Not my version!!! It goes and saves it in the last directory you saved a file in which in many cases is not the directory you opened and created the new file in.

I discovered this over time as I have found a pile of files in a temp directory that I use for files that are either not approved yet or have been broken apart and wait for cutting in a nested pattern.

I usually give the file names things like 001 or aaab, Once the file has been approved then I would save it in the appropriate spot after cutting or sending out for print.
What I found at the bottom of the list of files were the missing files I could not find in the directories that I could have sworn I saved them in...

I don't know if it happens every time, but to many times since installing version 8, I have had to go searching through sub directories under my customer files trying to locate where they reside.

It is something I dont really think about at the time of saving the file so I am not in the habit of seeing where it goes to save it. I will now keep an eye out for this strange way of working.

CanuckSigns

Our copy of Vision Pro (rebranded Signlab) does the same thing, and it's at least 10 years old. I think CorelDraw does this as well.

I would be interested to know if there is some windows default to override this or something?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Whenever I save a SL file, it will always try to save it to the directory it last saved something in...not the current directory. Same goes for opening files.

Absolutely maddening, I know.

JB