• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignLab File Save / Open Irritation

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I’ve been working with SignLab for five years now and I have a major irritation with how files are opened and saved.

Why doesn’t SignLab’s destination (save) folder automatically default to the same folder from which the original file was obtained?

Let’s say I open a file, change the name, and then save it. The destination folder defaults to the folder under which the previous job was saved.

This doesn’t seem to follow typical Windows protocol. Can a default be changed somewhere?

I’m presently running SL8 and can not find anything within the setup menu

Dave Drane

I have never struck this myself Jim. but I am still on 5. something. What would happen if you closed it down and it asks "Are you sure you want to close without saving"

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have never struck this myself Jim. but I am still on 5. something. What would happen if you closed it down and it asks "Are you sure you want to close without saving

Without doing anything, the file would be saved as "untitled1" or "untitled2", etc...and would be saved into the destination folder where the previous jobs were saved, not the source folder from which the file was opened the job.

99.9% of the time my files are saved under a new file name in the original (customer) destination folder.

I hop between multiple customers when assembling large runs to send to the plotter, and I'm constantly having to go through gyrations of changing source / destination folders when manipulating files within the same folder.

In Adobe Illustrator, if I open a file and then click "save as", Illy always defaults to the folder from which the file was opened (source folder). All I have to do is change the file name, and then hit "enter", and all is good.

Dave Drane

Jim, I have a few folders under customers names that I use regularly. My folders all come under Cadlink, -.> Signlab -> and then a folder I created. Mostly they are under my own folder which I named SLab jobs. As soon as I start a job, 5 minutes into it I give it a name, save it to a folder, and then just keep pressing Control S.

yahhoo

haha...thats windows for you. But equally annoying is the fact that Illustrator does that too (saving to where the last file used was)....not everyone likes that either.
Adobe, Flexi and Signlab all need to take a better look at the filing system. they all could BUILD-IN in a user defined directory system (like Autocad's href/xref commands)...an intuitive syStem, or at least one where the user can specify these defaults.....loooong time overdue. I agree. After creating a customers folder.....everytime you "save as" or "export" to......these programs should open your "customers folder" and display the closest matching folder to the filename ie. folder called "peachie and associates"...if you save as "peachie****" then it should know to take you to that folder...seems like a no brainer for the programmers to do that..

JR's

I used to have sign lab 5. and if I opened a file from Joe's pub and changed it or save as it would open Joe's pub. nice nice good good. now I have sign lab 8 P&C and it opens the last folder I saved something in. I like the old way a 100% more.

JR

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

JR's

yes I did and I am loving it. but I think thy are coming out with transparency fades.

JR

Neil

It's easy to overlook, but Signlab has included a handy little icon in all open/save/import windows called "Favourites".
It's located top right next to View Menu.
You can add all your favourite locations where you normally go to open or save your files.