• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignLab v5 rev3 on Linux, anyone?

PaulS

Currently running the above safe and sound on a Win2K machine.

My question is;

Just out of interest, will Signlab run under Linux?

If yes then I'll bin this M$ crape and score Linux/Ubuntu.

and also,

If I do install Linux, will it be able to read the morgue, archived on a second drive? Or can Linux read stuff placed there by Windows?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

choucove

I'm far from a Linux guru, but I can tell you that I really have enjoyed what I have used it for. There are different programs available for linux that allow you to run Windows within linux (and vice versa with virtual machines within Windows to run linux) so that you can run most all of your Windows-only compatible software. This may help you to run Windows applications from within linux, the problem is, it takes someone with a fair understanding of Linux and computer systems to configure it up properly, and someone with similar understanding just to really be able to run and work with it regularly.

It seems the big problem for using linux yet in the design business is driver support for all of our unique printers and plotters. There are beginning to be more and more available applications being designed for support under linux, including an open-source vector design suite, but when it comes to drivers, it's hard to get things working just right (even in Vista still.)

Linux definitely has its place, and it can be used as a great alternative to Windows in some places, but unfortunately it's not ready for everything. If you've got some coding background or just know your stuff about the software and linux, then it sure could be an interesting task to work on!

About linux being able to read files created in Windows: with some configuration, when you set up your separate partitions for Windows and Linux, you can set the linux to automatically mount the other partition for Windows. You can also determine if it should be in read only mode, or read and write mode, and you will be able to access all files in the Windows partition within linux. You do have to be somewhat careful with setting it automatically to read and write mode, however, as in theory linux could cause some of your Windows files to become corrupted, overwrite important Windows operating files, or just delete them by accident. However, I've been running linux and Windows dual boot perfectly fine with Fedora for over a year on my computers, both with XP and Vista computers, and have not had any difficulties at all. My supervisor at the University of Kansas who is the linux systems and network administrator also has been doing this on several different systems without any troubles.