• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signmakers Signature "Bug"

Billct2

Someone posted a pic of an old sign on FB and was looking for information about where it came from. I asked them what the signmaker's "bug" in corner said.
They thought it was a cool term and wondered where it came from. I nvere really thought about it but always assumed it was because from a distance the little signature on the sign looked like a bug had landed on it. Anyone have a more definative answer?

Billct2

Thanks, interesting history. I was searching for signpainters bug and didn't know it was a union thing.

SignosaurusRex

Term we always used in all of the shops I ever worked in was "Imprint". For instance... When I worked for Foley Sign in Seattle, we always put the shop imprint FOLEY in very small letters usually at the bottom center of all signs and windows. We only used the term "Bug" when referring to the "Union Bug" that was mandatory on all political signs to show that they were made in or by a Union Shop.

OldPaint

if i remember correctly, when i was in college either the art prof or art history prof told us about a renaissance artist, cant remember his name but he signed his painting with a "bug" in the lower right corner......no name just the bug. and it looks so real people use to think it was...........

round man

the guy who taught me said it came from when a sign painter asked the client if he minded him signing his work,....the clients response,...."Sure ,....so long as it isn't bigger than a bug,...."