Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signmakers Signature "Bug"

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Billct2, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Someone posted a pic of an old sign on FB and was looking for information about where it came from. I asked them what the signmaker's "bug" in corner said.
    They thought it was a cool term and wondered where it came from. I nvere really thought about it but always assumed it was because from a distance the little signature on the sign looked like a bug had landed on it. Anyone have a more definative answer?

Tags:
  2. Vinylman

Vinylman Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Berlin Center, Ohio
  3. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Thanks, interesting history. I was searching for signpainters bug and didn't know it was a union thing.

4. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Term we always used in all of the shops I ever worked in was "Imprint". For instance... When I worked for Foley Sign in Seattle, we always put the shop imprint FOLEY in very small letters usually at the bottom center of all signs and windows. We only used the term "Bug" when referring to the "Union Bug" that was mandatory on all political signs to show that they were made in or by a Union Shop.

5. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

if i remember correctly, when i was in college either the art prof or art history prof told us about a renaissance artist, cant remember his name but he signed his painting with a "bug" in the lower right corner......no name just the bug. and it looks so real people use to think it was...........

6. round man

round man Active Member

Oct 16, 2005
    the guy who taught me said it came from when a sign painter asked the client if he minded him signing his work,....the clients response,...."Sure ,....so long as it isn't bigger than a bug,...."