• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

signpainting student

sardocs

There's a young fella who has a barber shop up the road from me who stopped by to ask about getting a sign done for a friend of his who is a hot rod enthusiast and has old gas pump collection. After talking a bit I suggested he do it himself. He had never painted a sign before but felt he'd like to give it a try. We did a quick layout on the computer, plotted a paper pattern and I showed him how to pounce it. He wanted the sign to be somewhat distressed so he beat up the mdo with a chain and some pipe and a hammer. A few quick tips on handlettering and I left him to it while I worked on some paying jobs. He did it in three sessions, from jigsawing the shape to finishing the painting. It was really fun showing someone some "old school" techniques even though we did design it on the computer.

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 208

Jillbeans

That's great to see, hopefully you've lit a fire under this kid and he has the taste for paint now.
A lot of people say that sign painting is dead, and they are dead wrong.
Go to any pinstriper's meet and you will see young folks chomping at the bit to get their brushes wet.
They are eager to learn and in love with the craft, it's a great thing to experience.
Love....Jill

sardocs

Thanks for the thumbs up and clapping smileys, I will pass them on to young Tyler. I don't think he will stick with signpainting as a new trade, since he already has one as a barber. But it was fun showing someone how we used to do it all the time.

Marlene

that is a really nice job. that looks better than some of the work I've seen from old time sign painters who have been doing it for years.

SD&F

That's nice work and I hope he stick with it. I beleive that there is nothing better looking than a handpainted sign. I love my guys here who are talented and patient.
BTW....I'll take him in.

Joe Diaz

I wonder if keeping a steady hand during his real job helped him with this. I also wonder if now he'll want to use a Maulstick to cut hair from here on out. ???

sardocs

I wonder if maybe the electropounce machine has any grooming applications?
It really was fun showing somebody how to do a bit of signpainting, and he was a good learner. Like I said before, he already has a trade and runs a busy little one man barbershop. This was a one-time project he gave as a gift to somebody who helped him out. He came in to buy a sign, but he left with much more. He wants to stripe his Harley now.