Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Signs 101 Design-Off #4 - The Assignment

Discussion in 'Classroom Assignments' started by Doyle, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Here is what we are working with, I know it might seem typical, but thought everyone could really have some fun with this one....

CUSTOMER - Eddie's Diner

BUSINESS INFO - Diner that has been in business for over 50 years, seeks to preserve the 50's retro feel throughout the establishment. Inside of cafe is filled with 50's memorabilia and decorations (classic cars, Elvis, Betty Boop, etc.) They serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Menu is typical diner food, but are well known for their burgers.

THE SIGN - Customer does not wish to purchase a whole new sign, they would like to use the existing poles and cabinets and get a fresh look. Cans and poles can be re-painted if necessary, and they are open to the idea of adding elements outside of the sign area to attract attention. The size of the cabinet at top is 6' X 12' and the sign is near it's allowed square footage in size. Anything added outside of the existing sign dimensions should not exceed 12 square feet. The lower cabinet is currently used as a marquee, but can be used for additional artwork if necessary.... you are the expert.

The artwork for the sign does not HAVE to be a "logo", but design it as you wish.

There are no budget limitations here, the customer is prepared to spend a reasonable amount of money to complete this project. Customer may also consider adding neon to the sign as well.

You can download the sign drawing for your layout here, use it as is or modify it how you'd like
    http://www.artfxsignco.com/signs101/designoff4.eps
    Presentation is everything!!!

For the sake of simplifying this project, let's assume that all cabinets/poles/etc. are in like-new condition and permits etc. are not an issue. All of the leg-work has been done, you just get to have fun with it.

The deadline for the entries is MONDAY, MARCh 17th at 11:00 pm (eastern time).
    Designs must be e-mailed to me at artfx1@comcast.net

Any questions, post them on this thread so everyone can see the answers.

Good luck to all, have fun!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
    Tags:
  2. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Again, here are the contestants:

Pat Whatley
    Flisk
    Ndemond
    OADesign
    Insignia
    GAC05
    511Graphix
    Deaton Design
    Sites & Signs
    Neato

3. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    If I knew this was the assignment, I would have signed up....baaaaah!!!

>runs off in a hissy fit and slams door<

>slams door again<

4. Sites&Signs

Sites&Signs Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Nice work Vinyl Junkie, I like how you set this up, should be fun.....

by the way....its Sites & Signs

5. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Rick, you can send in a design anyway, I think a couple others may do the same. I'm sure that EVERYONE would like to see your ideas on this.

6. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    >opens door slowly<

Huh?

(I have 4 kids, hissy fits are a daily occurance in my house)

7. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    In defence of Rick's hissy fit.... I think it's a good idea to give the assignment
    before accepting contestants. JMO. I was thinking this before Rick's post.
    If I did an assignment, that's how I would do it.

8. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    Maybe that's what others will do in the future then.... sorry. I figured it is a nice surprise to see what you have to do, participate blindly.

Anyone besides the contestants that want to participate, go ahead. I will post all of your designs as well, but only the original 10 will be voted on and eligible for the prizes.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Have to ask ya VJ.....

Is that diner out your way ??

Reason being, that is identical to a set up here in PA that is about three miles from our shop. The diner, WalMart and even the colors are almost an exact match. I'm gonna go by there tonight and make sure I'm not dreaming this................ LOL

10. Steve C.

Steve C. Very Active Member

May 22, 2003
    I wasn't being critical...it's fine that way, it's your baby. Can't wait to see
    how this one unfolds. Excellent Assignment!

11. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  12. Rick

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    ...and I have to agree with Steve, the only reason I did not enter any of them is because I did not want to commit to something that may not be fun to do.

13. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I grabbed the image off a google image search, and now I can't find it again for the life of me to see what part of the country it is from

14. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Will there be a set size or format for the entry to be submitted in?
    800x 600, 1024 x 768 etc,....?

wayne k
    guam usa

15. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

Awwwww crap a '50s style diner theme and Neato is in on this one?!? We all might as well just quit now, he's going to own this I feel!

Nice idea for a contest though, looking forward to it.

16. Dan Ripper

Dan Ripper Member

May 10, 2006
    Plymouth, MI
    LMAO

17. Doyle

Doyle Very Active Member

Dec 4, 2006
    Michigan
    I'm open to suggestions for the file size, I just don't need 20 different 20mb files coming into my e-mail box, lets try to keep the file size down to 2mb or so.... whatever size that makes the image???

18. Sites&Signs

Sites&Signs Member

Feb 12, 2006
    lol, I thought the same thing insignia....

19. Call me stupid but why would anyone want to submit a design if only a select few are going to be voted on. Classroom assignment? I say "click" assignment.
    Just my 2 cents.

20. Service Sign Co

Service Sign Co Very Active Member

Nov 9, 2006
    Southaven
    Someone always drops out,There should be room for Rick, especially with Neato in it,probably be several open slots