• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs for Apartment Complex

dlndesign

Hi All,
Just had a huge job poke its head in the door. I have 8 buildings in a complex that needs the whole deal done to it. ADA, Building Numbers, Fire Escape Maps, Door Numbers.. the whole deal. I've not taken on such a large job before and just wondering first things first, can anyone give me a heads up on a good way to get the ball rolling on this. We are not a custom fab shop, so much of the work will be subed out. Thanks.

dlndesign

What should I be expecting when I ask for that? They want an idea of the price and when it will be installed by mid-november. They want to pay for it with this years budget before the end of the year.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
When was the complex built?
If it's an old complex they probably do not have architectural plans or a sign schedule. You might have to survey it, which sounds like a massive undertaking.

Mid November is a bit ambitious, have you ever done a fire evac system? If you have not, the going back and forth with the fire department can take a few weeks.

This past year I have done around 20 apartment sign systems, small ones have taken a few months to get through, some I designed last year and they are still fussing with the design.

dlndesign

Buildings we're up at least 2 years ago, and I have the old signs that they want replaced,( I know 2 years and they need new signs, thy had some crapy signs from before) So I have their proposal I am working from, but they are also working on a new design as well.

Malkin

3 weeks? :omg:

With that short of a lead time I don't think they have much time to worry about price.

They should just hand you a big bag of money and tell you to get movin'. :thumb:

Rick

The question is, have you done fire safety signs? Even of someone else did them does not mean the fire department does not want to see them again. There is a process of fire safety signs. Not knowing the apartments I would not even know what is needed but there are a bunch of signs that are required in the system...

Are you re-doing the sign whole system? Of just fixing it?

Are you thinking or replacing what the old sign company did... if the signs suck that they only lasted 2 years, most likely they did not plan it right either and may not be ADA compliant.

Rick

Might as well ask, do you have ADA knowledge either... and don;t thing your vendor will know, most suck, especially for California Title 24.

dlndesign

I've put a few fire sign systems together over the past few years, pretty tedious process, all done in California also. I have some knowledge of ADA, probably not enough to get me through this, any good resources on the web you can point me to?

Everyone is concerned about money, and I know were not the only ones bidding either.

Rick

Is everyone bidding on the same design or is everyone designing their own system and putting a bid in so the client has a few design choices?

Seems to me they should hire a consultant to design it and send one, compliant package out to bid.

The only resource you should know is the city Fire Departments fire safety process, and Title 24. You can download both. Are they re-doing their pool safety signs too? If so the city the project is in probably has a copy of the Safety code to download too.

John L

You can offer a quotation to draw the sign schedule for them and then they can shop the price all over town with everyone on the same page. You will quickly turn this into a pay job and they will have dollar signs in their eyes.

I would recommend the evac route signs be a time and expense billing rather than part of a fixed quote though.

dlndesign

I'm not exactly sure if its a complete re-design yet, depending on what I hear back from them. I would think some of the work there would probably stay the same, just with better materials.

dlndesign

Ok, I just got word that not everything is going to be replaced, they just need specific signs done, but they require a warranty. Anyway someone here knows a wholesaler that can produce a few hundred ADA door signs, with number and braille?

dlndesign

Also, the location of the building is about 5 blocks from the beach. So just about all of the signs, along with the heat were getting pounded by sea air.

Rick

What kind of signs, raster braille, photopolymer? Do they have a custom graphic?

CES020

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I thought he said they want a price and install schedule by Mid-November, not 8 apartment buildings completed by mid-November. Personally, I'd have to do the site survey method myself. No way I'd quote that without seeing it. Sheetrock walls, dropped ceilings, concrete block walls? Too many options. You could miss a quote like this by a mile and end up in trouble if you don't have all the details.

Rick

I agree with CES020... would also be careful with the current recommendations, if they can't show braille correctly on their sites, you have to wonder what kind of product you are going to get. Remember California has stricter requirements.