• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs101 WRAP CONTEST

JoshLoring

Can I enter this since we are re-wrapping it due to "can't drive" problems? Haha

Attachments

• image-213196208.png
    image-213196208.png
    920.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image-4291732921.png
    image-4291732921.png
    852.6 KB · Views: 108

JoshLoring

grafixemporium said:
I saw this one in Signs & Digital Graphics. Looks awesome! Did you guys do the design work or did Jack in the Box supply it? Why are you re-wrapping it?

Thats a tricky question. We did the entire print and install on Oracal 3951RA. I personally did the whole front end design because they couldn't make a file that flowed around the truck. The sides and rear were designed for a truck 3x the length and partially provided in unfinished flat art. Unfortunately they had layed off the original artist in the middle of the job and could not finish it. Luckily- as a digital art guy, I was able to finish up the rest of the art and detail elements to make it fit the truck in their timeline. (after 30 hours and my burning wacom tablet.) Install took 2 business days.

COOKY

Finished this one today...

Pizza Compadre
Logo & Wrap Design, Prints & Installation: GFX Wraps
Vehicle: A giant TURD of a Chevy cargo van
Disassembly, Prep, Installation and Reassembly: 1 Day

I think we should win some kind of award for biggest pile of crap wrapped.

This is my pic so far. Nice clean design.

Signs2u

VW Routan Wrap - pictures and info

Printed on 3M 180cV3 w/ 3M 8519 Luster Overlam. Clear Focus on the windows.

10 hour total install - please note that there are NO seams anywhere on the vehicle and also no overlays to match up the flowers, etc.

Designed, printed and installed in house.

Attachments

• IMAG0309b.jpg
    IMAG0309b.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMAG0310.jpg
    IMAG0310.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 99
  • IMAG0312b.jpg
    IMAG0312b.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

grafixemporium

It's a nice job, but I wouldn't point out that you didn't do overlays. That just draws attention to the fact that the hood and fenders don't line up. There is no easy way to do that. We usually design our way out of issues like that. If I really want to impress a customer and have to do something of this nature, I'll wait until the sides are installed then draw a template for the hood to ensure the designs line up perfectly. In this case, I think a small overlay on the hood would have looked better than not matching up. Wrap the hood in blue then overlay that fender panel and trim using the edge of the circle as your seam. Then it would have looked like you are an installation genius and no seam would have been visible at all.

That's exactly how we did these...

Attachments

• 9879.jpg
    9879.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 9875.jpg
    9875.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 118

Signs2u

Considering we did the entire thing in one print, including the window perforation the passenger side of the hood being off by a slight margin became acceptable.
Anyone can cheat and waste two days by printing later.

Signs2u

Besides, look at the back of that wrap - the panel goes all the way from under the tail lights, behind the rear tire, to the other side. Lines up perfectly with everything. Winning.

Signs2u

"If I really want to impress a customer and have to do something of this nature, I'll wait until the sides are installed then draw a template for the hood to ensure the designs line up perfectly." - GFX

This means that you have a customers vehicle for 2 extra days - we print and let everything vent before laminating.

HulkSmash

"If I really want to impress a customer and have to do something of this nature, I'll wait until the sides are installed then draw a template for the hood to ensure the designs line up perfectly." - GFX

This means that you have a customers vehicle for 2 extra days - we print and let everything vent before laminating.

We have a latex. peace suckA!

grafixemporium

Reread my post. I said IN THIS CASE I think overlays would have looked much better and you could have easily hidden the seam on the edge of the circle. It takes no extra time at all to do the job the right way.

The only time I would consider going the template route is if it was a project that had to be perfect and seamless. That means $$$. So it's pretty rare we go to that extent. Typically overlays work just fine for stuff like this and when they are done right, most people will never even know they are overlays.

Take it easy. I didn't mean to make you all self conscious to the point you removed the picture showing the hood from your post. Just offering some friendly advice on how to make a great job look even greater.

Just for educational purposes, this is the picture I was referring to. See kids, an overlay would have made that hood look flawless! It wouldn't have cost a penny more nor taken any extra time.

Attachments

• IMAG0306b.jpg
    IMAG0306b.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Signs2u

I should note that the customer was absolute about there being no seams anywhere on the wrap - no question. We are going to be wrapping a few more vehicles for them and I think I will sneak in a new hood at some point to replace this one. That all being said for building this off of a template we made in house and having it print that close on the first try is really impressive - anyone who has attempted to do this understands.

HulkSmash

I should note that the customer was absolute about there being no seams anywhere on the wrap - no question. We are going to be wrapping a few more vehicles for them and I think I will sneak in a new hood at some point to replace this one. That all being said for building this off of a template we made in house and having it print that close on the first try is really impressive - anyone who has attempted to do this understands.

You realize that making your own print templates are far more accurate then pre fabricated templates? We just use those for pricing, and proofs, and approx measurements between wheels and other things.