• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs365 Laminate failure

Snydo

Like i mentioned before in other threads.

I use 210 on a regular basis. Signs have lasted 6 to 8 years and apart from about 1/8" shrinkage along the edges, The prints still looked good.

Either the south has received bad batches of the material or the sun is really beating down hard compared to the north.

The UV index is typically 3 times higher or more in the Deep South compared to the Upper Midwest/Canada.

http://sunburnmap.com/

Baz

Very cool map!

Interesting to learn i am in a moderate UV area. (Ottawa, Canada)

Texas and the rest of the deep south though .... Ouch.

Techman

why anyone would consider using calendared products for long term is beyond my comprehension. Even if it does last a few years..

T_K

Maybe hand painted signs need to make a comeback in the southern states.

That would be a way for more art students to find gainful employment in their field.

But you'd have to get past the "I want the best stuff at the cheapest price right now!" attitude that is so prevalent in our culture right now. As I understand it, hand painted signs are typically more expensive and slower production than vinyl. So vinyl wins out for now in the current market.

I do agree that they would probably hold up better down here, if you could sell them.

Billct2

Actually the quality of sign paint has deteriorated to the point where many colors just don't hold up.
Now the longest lasting option for most signs is cut cast vinyl.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Like i mentioned before in other threads.

I use 210 on a regular basis. Signs have lasted 6 to 8 years and apart from about 1/8" shrinkage along the edges, The prints still looked good.

Either the south has received bad batches of the material or the sun is really beating down hard compared to the north.

I use 210 lam regularly. My signs aren't browning and I'm in the south, but I do see that same shrinkage.

I can tell the customer they need something more long-term (translate more expensive) that is better suited to the job. But the reality is most don't seem to care - price, price, price is all they seem to care about nine out of ten times. So they get what they pay for. However, like Baz, I have signs that have been out there in the hot Florida sun for 7-8 years and they still look pretty darn good.

gabagoo

I had a supplier... (not one I use often) offer me what they called end of roll laminate for $89.00 per roll.
Was told that it was a regular 3ml laminate....not so

I took 2 rolls, but never trusted to use it on anything that was meant to be long term. I find out on the next order that this product had no UV inhibitors at all. You get what you pay for....I just don't like being lied to.

jman

I use 210 lam regularly. My signs aren't browning and I'm in the south, but I do see that same shrinkage.

I can tell the customer they need something more long-term (translate more expensive) that is better suited to the job. But the reality is most don't seem to care - price, price, price is all they seem to care about nine out of ten times. So they get what they pay for. However, like Baz, I have signs that have been out there in the hot Florida sun for 7-8 years and they still look pretty darn good.

took the words right from me

asd

i don't know if the sign yellowing has something to do with the overlaminate, but looking at picture and seeing where the sign is actually installed i will say it has to do more with the sign getting wet all the time when they water their lawn. I will think the minerals in the water are causing this and no so much the uv in such short time.

visual800

why anyone would consider using calendared products for long term is beyond my comprehension. Even if it does last a few years..

hand painted sign dont stand a chance in hell down here in alabama. When One Shot was pure lead it would last forever, but now since it sucks you can do bc/cc automotive paints if it real long term or some high end latex