• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Signs365 Switched To 15oz Vinyl Banner, Signs Falling?

Jean Shimp

I have been buying 13 oz vinyl banners from Signs365 and using them in the 33 x 78" Picasso retractable stands. I just got a call from my customer saying the stands are falling. I suspect it may be the heavier 15 oz vinyl - does that sound right? Is it the banner or the stand that is the problem? I may need a new supplier.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I kinda doubt, that little bit of extra weight is gonna knock a whole assembly down, but ya never know. Sounds more like someone did something wrong in putting it together or someone or something knocked into it. Ya weren't there when it happened, so you hafta take them at their word. Heck, there could've been an earth tremor........... :eek:

Mysticalvibes

I've noticed sometimes with cheap bases that you have to pull it backwards after assembly. This works temporarily but if if gets blown forward it just falls. We found cheap bases were the problem

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Jean Shimp

I have been buying the mid range priced retractable banner stand from Grimco. I like it because it is lightweight and has worked well in the past. It's only been within the past month that I noticed the new banners seem a bit unsteady. What brand of stand is the best? There are so many on the market.

Mysticalvibes

I'm sorry but I live in Ireland so I'd say our manufacturers would be different so wouldn't be sure

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

bannertime

If the pole isn't all the way in it's slot, it could lean forward more than usual, but I've never seen one fall over due to anything beside wind. We've tested it by pulling the stand about 60 degrees in either direction and it's always returned upright. Some people just like to complain, and telling them to turn the feet the other way will work. It's like a quarter pound difference, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
I 100% agree with Boxerbay.

We use POS Pro (or similar pvc) material in our stands. Never have had an issue.

We also sell the Supreme Retractor (or like) from Creative Banner more than the cheap ones. These are meant to be changed out.

bannertime

You're right. They make material specifically for this purpose. It simply looks and works better. Using anything else is an injustice to your customer. However, 15oz material with that stand shouldn't have any issues. Still would be determined as a user related error.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
STOP USING 13 Oz Banner in retractable stands! You should only be using non curl, polypropylene or some other smooth, block out material. Less weight, usually OPAQUE, and has a nice print surface, and doesn't curl. I laugh every time I see a crappy banner stand with 13 oz Ultraflex in it. Usually is so curled it looks like an hourglass from the front.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I 100% agree with Boxerbay.

We use POS Pro (or similar pvc) material in our stands. Never have had an issue.
We also sell the Supreme Retractor (or like) from Creative Banner more than the cheap ones. These are meant to be changed out.

I developed POS PRO back in the day, I have some really great alternatives to that material now if you're interested.

customquint

We avoid economy stands, had problems with them several years ago falling and not standing straight.

I agree, 13oz banner is very cheep looking for this type of application. We use a generic retractable roll up material from Fellers and love it.

I always point out what is better on the retractable displays we sell over some of the cheep ones found on the internet, 1 is the cheep base, 2 is the scrim banner some use.

synergy_jim

this is a terrible idea..... use a product that is lightweight and designed for the stand. We have had great luck with Fellers brand Pop Up material. even 13oz is too heavy and looks like crap in a stand.

gabagoo

I was forced to move to a low end banner stand for a very good client. We used to use the Orbus Orient with never any issues. They had received a very low quote from a competitor and I realized that the stand was a cheap POS. I pleaded with them that it was a mistake to move to this type of stand. I do a lot more for them besides banner stands but worried if I did not match price I might lose other work from them. I decided to use a low end stand, but not the cheapest, although it cost $10 more it almost looked identical to the cheapies. I used a 12 oz flat material and we ran about 16 of them over a course of 4 weeks. ( they are all custom )

5 have been returned so far with the same issue... The banner stops rewinding into the stand. The springs break or release. When the are shipped back there is a good chance that the banner will be damaged and have to be reprinted as well. Of course when I speak to the company that sold them to me, they say they have had very few returns...

I have now switched to a more expensive stand from Orbus ( Ultima in Canada) and I now wait to see if there will be any issues.

Jean Shimp

I called Grimco about the problem with the banners not standing up right and they replaced the stands. That seems to have solved the problem - so it wasn't the weight of the vinyl apparently that was causing the issue. Sometimes you have to adjust the feet or flip the pole to get them to stand up right. These banners are used once a month only and are performing well for their intended use.