• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignVox - How to make labor non-taxable

SignProPlus-Chip

When I view LABOR. I can select from the list and see an overview, including that the labor is taxable. When I click to edit it however, there is no option change the tax status.

Can anyone help out?

HulkSmash

When I view LABOR. I can select from the list and see an overview, including that the labor is taxable. When I click to edit it however, there is no option change the tax status.

Can anyone help out?

Should just have a check box that says taxable, and then uncheck it.

OlsonSigns601

I've got the same problem. I just tried to add Delivery as an available labor and its defaulting it to taxable and not to mention all of my services now list that they are taxable.

OlsonSigns601

After thinking about it more... I would want to list Delivery as a service.

For production of a sign, the entire sign would be taxable as its part of the process of creating the product.

Just like when you buy a car you don't pay less sales tax based on how much money FORD spent on staff to produce it.

The way it works, I would think all Labor would be taxable as its labor to produce a product. Perhaps they should just remove the column that lists it as taxable so you don't go thinking you can remove it.

SignProPlus-Chip

Well weather or not it's taxable depends on your location too.

Still, in shop labor to fabricate a sign is taxable...but out of shop, for say an install, is not taxable here in SC.

For now I have installations and out of shop activities as a service, since I can adjust it to non-taxable.

BTW, anyone know how to view or adjust what your invoices look like? Our logo is too big on the e-mailed invoice.

Also, when previewing a quote through the PDF link on the right side of the page, the PDF doesn't show our name address contact info or logo...what's up with that?

I love the potential, but it seems like there is a good deal of bugs to be worked out...If I set up pricing for items with a vendor, why doesn't it automatically enter my materials list? I have to set them up in both separately...it's a bit of a hassle.

Kevin-shopVOX

Well weather or not it's taxable depends on your location too.

Still, in shop labor to fabricate a sign is taxable...but out of shop, for say an install, is not taxable here in SC.

For now I have installations and out of shop activities as a service, since I can adjust it to non-taxable.

BTW, anyone know how to view or adjust what your invoices look like? Our logo is too big on the e-mailed invoice.

Also, when previewing a quote through the PDF link on the right side of the page, the PDF doesn't show our name address contact info or logo...what's up with that?

I love the potential, but it seems like there is a good deal of bugs to be worked out...If I set up pricing for items with a vendor, why doesn't it automatically enter my materials list? I have to set them up in both separately...it's a bit of a hassle.

Labors are built into the price of selling a sign which is why they are not opted to,be taxed. You would simply make the sale non taxable,if you don't want to charge tax. Installs and services are different. They can be taxed or non-taxable and they are separated specifically for those categories. If its an install it gets created under install, the same for a service. The labors are used to fabricate a sign. They can be man hours or machine hours but they are built into the final price of the sign. When someone buys a banner you don't separate the labor to make it do you as non taxable? No you sell them the banner and it's taxed or the customer is non taxable..either or. SignVOX thinks the same way...labors and machine time are taxable with no option to say they aren't ..your installs and services are taxable or non taxable and you can choose.

Reduce the size of your logo..something like 1x4 t 300dpi should be okay.

Your vendors and materials are different. Most materials are set to sell by the square forcing you to determine two prices...the media sq ft price and either roll or sheet price. However you should be linking the vendor and material at the material level where it is easier and faster to do. Yes signVox is not intuitively linked where changes in one will not reflect the other.

These are all things that we cover in training which for you will be next week since it hasnt even been two days you've been on board.. None of these things you are mentioning are bugs you just don't know the ins and outs of it yet. After we set up,training you will. Also don't forget to read the ops manual that covers a good deal of this.

In the mean time shoot me an email with questions or use the chat feature, FAQ, videos or call me personally if you are confused or stuck. I can easily explain and guide you to an answer.

J

john1

Yeah the labor is all taxable as it goes into production of the job.

The installation is a separate line item and you can choose that to be taxable or not, same with services.

SignProPlus-Chip

Thanks Kevin,

I actually used the CHAT option within SignVox to ask a question earlier today, but I am guessing nobody is there on the weekends?

As for the taxing issue. I don't think you read my posts carefully. I understand the labor involved in a fabrication of a sign is taxable. Any labor undertaken to produce or fabricate a tangible end product for sale is subject to tax.

However, at least here in SC, installs and such represent labor not subject to tax. I was trying to add out of shop labor as a non-taxable LABOR item. I guess within the software it has to be declared a SERVICE instead since I can make those item non-taxable.

ON the logo, OK reduce the size...would have been a good idea to have a size requirement note there to let users know.

Looking forward to the training, hopefully it will clear things up.

Labors are built into the price of selling a sign which is why they are not opted to,be taxed. You would simply make the sale non taxable,if you don't want to charge tax. Installs and services are different. They can be taxed or non-taxable and they are separated specifically for those categories. If its an install it gets created under install, the same for a service. The labors are used to fabricate a sign. They can be man hours or machine hours but they are built into the final price of the sign. When someone buys a banner you don't separate the labor to make it do you as non taxable? No you sell them the banner and it's taxed or the customer is non taxable..either or. SignVOX thinks the same way...labors and machine time are taxable with no option to say they aren't ..your installs and services are taxable or non taxable and you can choose.

Reduce the size of your logo..something like 1x4 t 300dpi should be okay.

Your vendors and materials are different. Most materials are set to sell by the square forcing you to determine two prices...the media sq ft price and either roll or sheet price. However you should be linking the vendor and material at the material level where it is easier and faster to do. Yes signVox is not intuitively linked where changes in one will not reflect the other.

These are all things that we cover in training which for you will be next week since it hasnt even been two days you've been on board.. None of these things you are mentioning are bugs you just don't know the ins and outs of it yet. After we set up,training you will. Also don't forget to read the ops manual that covers a good deal of this.

In the mean time shoot me an email with questions or use the chat feature, FAQ, videos or call me personally if you are confused or stuck. I can easily explain and guide you to an answer.

J

john1

You could always make the installation a separate line item on the invoice and have that be non-taxable. You could create it under the CUSTOM category and add the install as a service if you wanted to show the customer the product pricing and then install pricing on the invoice.

econolinesigns

We don't use the install or service option for our installations as they don't show up as a separate line item. They end up being included in the description that way but the system does not break the cost out into a separate line item which our customers like to see. To solve this I just created a product category called Installation then different install types under the category. To make them non-taxable, we just update the change the tax code to one that we created called Labor so it reflects on our invoices and sales tax reports as non-taxable. It would be nice if the system could show the breakout of install cost if it was listed in under the service module.

J

john1

We don't use the install or service option for our installations as they don't show up as a separate line item. They end up being included in the description that way but the system does not break the cost out into a separate line item which our customers like to see. To solve this I just created a product category called Installation then different install types under the category. To make them non-taxable, we just update the change the tax code to one that we created called Labor so it reflects on our invoices and sales tax reports as non-taxable. It would be nice if the system could show the breakout of install cost if it was listed in under the service module.

It can. Under services settings you can check off and on this "Show details on the quote or invoice"

econolinesigns

It does show that it is included but I don't think it breaks the cost out from the total item cost. I know it will say something like 1 hour of design or installation included but I don't remember seeing a separate price line item.

SignVOX

Merchant Member
It does show that it is included but I don't think it breaks the cost out from the total item cost. I know it will say something like 1 hour of design or installation included but I don't remember seeing a separate price line item.

Steve, you need to add is a separate line item, go to the quote, +item, select custom, select if it is inisde/outside and appropriate COA and then once inside you can select the Install under Options/Services and hit save. This will show up on the quote as a separate line item, which your customer can see in the quote.