• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sihl Trisolve Posters sticking together

pixel_pusher

We printed 100 24x36 posters for a client last month. After trimming them out, we stacked them in piles of 50, and wrapped them in backing paper. When they opened the packages a few weeks later to distribute, the printed faces were sticking to the backs of the one on above them, which peeled most of the ink off.

Before I reprint these, are there any tips for printing slightly high volume glossy paper posters other than printing them in pairs and letting them lie flat and cover every flat surface for 2 days before cutting? I use a Roland VP-540, and the GPPG profile in versaworks with sign and display color mode.

We printed 100 24x36 posters for a client last month. After trimming them out, we stacked them in piles of 50, and wrapped them in backing paper. When they opened the packages a few weeks later to distribute, the printed faces were sticking to the backs of the one on above them, which peeled most of the ink off.

Before I reprint these, are there any tips for printing slightly high volume glossy paper posters other than printing them in pairs and letting them lie flat and cover every flat surface for 2 days before cutting? I use a Roland VP-540, and the GPPG profile in versaworks with sign and display color mode.

I would say that yes, you have to let them completely dry before stacking. Can you hang them on the wall's with some sort of clip?

pixel_pusher

I can't even use my take up reel for these without them sticking together. Typically, I would print them 10 or so at a time, unroll the take up reel, and roughly chop the individuals out with scissors. Then, fan them out loosely on the table to let them dry. With this paper, however, you can hear the peeling sound when you unroll from the take up. Could heat or color profile settings be changed for better results?

LarryB

We have had the same issues with many other papers we print on. Last batch we tried the Roland paper material and it printed better. I think there is a profile you can use which matches the media. Print was still a little tacky but better than other profiles.

pixel_pusher

Would a satin finish paper work better? We used to use Sihl Syntisol satin, and it was great, but they discontinued it and gave us the Trisolv.

Bill Modzel

I've run quite a bit of this stuff on my HP9000s. I print in 8 pass mode which probably gives them a bit more time to dry before they roll up. I know that 4 pass would never work.
I have had some slight sticking but not enough to mar the prints. Once cut I do rack them on my screen print drying racks overnight just in case and so far it's been a non-issue.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Try using a small fan or heater

Try using a small fan or ceramic heater in front of the prints.
We have had the same issue with a similar material and gave up solvent printing them on the 540.....switched them to UV on the flatbed. Instant dry.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
If you guys ran a latex printer you could print photo gloss all day long for only $0.08 a sq.ft. Dont have any drying issues either.

Donny7833

Run a ton of Trisolve on my GS6000. 8 pass bi di, with a Black Body infrared heater. If I don't use the heater, I get sticking issues as well. With the heater I can run a whole roll without any worries.

The Trisolve will take pretty high dry temps, just don't forget to pull the heater away when the print is done.

Jack Knight1979

I run trisolv and love it. I too get the sticking, so I put a low velocity fan on the back side of my TUR and let the fan hit the ink.

Takes the stick out of it. Works like a charm.

If I have heavy ink coverage like on a black posters I put a fan on the front and back.

I'm talking lil' 6 or 8" fans from walmart that cost 10 bucks.

Letterbox Mike

Trisolv dries slowly, you need to either slow your print down or crank the heat up (or use a heater), or both. We run Trisolv pretty fast but we use an infrared DigiDri dryer in front of it.

I can't say if this will work for you or not since we don't have Roland machines, but we get amazing results on Trisolv 3686 using Oracal's 3651 profile. You might give it a shot, on our machines it seems to lay down just the right amount of ink.