• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Silent Air Compressor - Indoors

BALLPARK

Hello All,

We are looking to purchase an air compressor that has a lower dba rating. We currently purchase 20 gallon Kobalt compressors about every year to 15 months. The dba rating on our unit is 84 and it's too loud for our shop.

What 20+ gallon air compressor do you recommend?
- We would like oil-free for sure.
- We don't mind to have to manually drain the tank from time to time. We only use it for our Vutek flatbed printer and it needs to be on at all times during the day so "Victor" can get the air as needed.

We would like to stay below $1500 for the unit, if possible. Our target dba range would be 40-65.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

BALLPARK

May want to look at this one: Eastwood QST-30/60 Quiet Scroll Air Compressor

I'd like to try one myself, but my old two-stage still runs well.

That looks like the one for us. I loved the Video Ad where it shows a 80+ Gallon and the small scroll... I'm going to review the specs on it. Thanks!!!!!!!

100k pump hours... That's impressive and makes it easier to see why it would cost more to purchase.

69 dba is pretty darn good considering it's no in the 10k range to get lower from the models I've seen online.

I really like how they show the components and craftsmanship of their products when displayed on the website. It makes me think they really stand behind their product and this should be the purchase even at three times the cost of another unit that hits in the 70 dba range.

It has more maintenance than I would prefer. It appears they suggest to change the oil after one year. I will need to have a plug-in installed as it comes as just the wiring as it provides an option for hardwire or 220. It still looks like the leader right now.

Last edited:

BALLPARK

We have the 10gal version of this and it's super quiet!
California Air Tools CAT-20015HP Ultra Quiet & Oil-Free 1.5 hp, 20 gallon 175 PSI Two Stage Air Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0768FPSQZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_jlgaBbW27NDZ2

The price point puts it to a 3-to-1 ratio which is nice. It looks like a solid unit. I will have to compare the dba ratings on the scroll version above and this one. That unit is about 15 dba below the Kobalt we currently use in the shop. Thanks for sharing the info!!!!

TimToad

How much quieter is a 14 decibel reduction?

What kind of tools are you operating that demand a 20 gallon unit?

Johnny Best

I have a portable California Air for running my nail guns and for spray painting. Super lightweight and ultra quiet. I bought it off their website years ago after seeing it at a trade show. I wanted something light to bring on a jobsite when building stage props
calcompress.jpg
and not be noisy.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I got a pancake from harbor frieght last year...then I got another one...and then another one.. and then my job requiring the compressor came to and end ..as did my returning and swapping out compressors. Since I stopped using the third one I haven't had a problem with it!!!

Christian @ 2CT Media

The price point puts it to a 3-to-1 ratio which is nice. It looks like a solid unit. I will have to compare the dba ratings on the scroll version above and this one. That unit is about 15 dba below the Kobalt we currently use in the shop. Thanks for sharing the info!!!!
We used to have ours right next to our flatbed applicator and you could have a normal conversation with no additional effort.

Rogar

Industrial discussion to improve my industry
You can use the California Air Tools 5510SE air compressor. It is Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free 1.0-HP 5.5-Gallon Steel Tank Best Quiet Air Compressor. Its powerful motor able to produces 120 psi maximum pressure and able to deliver 3.10 CFM at 40 psi & 2.20 CFM at 90 psi of compressed air.

Or, use the Briggs & Stratton Quiet Power air compressor. It is 80% quieter than other general silent air compressors. This compressor produces 1.8 CFM at 90 psi, the 4- and 4.5-gallon ones deliver 2.4 CFM at 90 psi of compressed air. This silent compressor is producing only 40 dB of sound. For the lowest sound level, it is one of the super silent air compressors of the air compressor market. To know more about the silent model please visit https://bestaircompressorstore.com/best-quiet-air-compressor-reviews-2017-2018/

rjssigns

Wonder if the California Air Tools unit would be safe for my positive pressure respirator? Going to have to do some research.

Terry01

Extend the intakes and hose them to the outside of your building..Most of the noise from a compressor is generated from the intakes.

NateF

I'll add some more positive feedback for California Air Tools. We have one of their small compressors that we use with our laminator. It's not silent, but you can have a phone conversation 10' away from it. Their support is great - we've had a couple minor issues with ours and they've always been helpful even when the warranty was over. I know they make a cabinet that can further reduce the noise, but it might not be available for their larger compressors. Of course, you could always build your own cabinet or move it to another room.