• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Silicone A D H E S I V E

weaselboogie

I've been looking for a good silicone adhesive in tube form to be used in a caulking gun, but can never find an ADHESIVE . Seems all that I can find at my local hardware stores are sealants only. I like the idea of the flexibility of silicone and its ability to stick to about anything, but I've used sealants and they are not holding as much as I'd like.

Last week, i checked out a sign that I used the silicone sealants on and after a bit of pull, off came the letter ... quite easily.

Any favorites that you guys use and where to get them? Again , I'd prefer in caulking gun tube form.

weaselboogie

Ge 1200 looks as its sold as a sealant. Actually, I think that is the kind that I may have used before that didn't seem to have strong adhesive properties.

Mosh

What is your addlication? I have installed Gemini letters for years using GE1200 from the local hardware store. Not had and come down.

weaselboogie

Why not use construction adhesive or something a little more diesel?

I like the idea of silicone because it sticks to just about anything and has the flex to stick to two different surface types that may expand and contract at different rates.

I recently used construction adhesive to join painted mdo to a wall. I don't know if the paint had something in it like a release agent, but the construction adhesive only stuck to one of the surfaces.

Pat Whatley

We use GE1200.

I like the idea of silicone because it sticks to just about anything and has the flex to stick to two different surface types that may expand and contract at different rates.
Agree completely. I've never had any luck with construction adhesive outdoors.

MikePro

i only use it if it says "100% Silicone" on the tube

also noted, that silicone needs the substrates to "float" off one another for it to work. you try mashing two panels together with silicone, it ends up spreading so thin that its not strong enough to hold anything together. (learned the hard way by replacing contact cement with silicone for some lamination projects)
This is why I pair it with 3M VHB tape... the tape itself kicks @$$ and its thick enough to allow a nice gap for the silicone to set and holds it for the needed time to do so.

Desert_Signs

I recently used construction adhesive to join painted mdo to a wall. I don't know if the paint had something in it like a release agent, but the construction adhesive only stuck to one of the surfaces.

A lot of the new paints have silicone in them. You find out pretty quick if your clients painted their wall with a silicone paint when you try to install vinyl on it.

:banghead:

SignosaurusRex

Dow Corning 732 multi-pupose is what I prefer. I've sworn by Dow Corning from the beginning. It's a bit more $ than others, but worth it. It is a Sealant/Adhesive marketed to the sign industry. Never once in 30+ years have I seen a problem with it regardless of application and conditions. I carry a small tube of it in my vehicles/tool boxes for a multitude of possible emergencies. You can find in-depth details at the Dow Corning website.

weaselboogie

Dow Corning 732 multi-pupose is what I prefer. I've sworn by Dow Corning from the beginning. It's a bit more $ than others, but worth it. It is a Sealant/Adhesive marketed to the sign industry. Never once in 30+ years have I seen a problem with it regardless of application and conditions. I carry a small tube of it in my vehicles/tool boxes for a multitude of possible emergencies. You can find in-depth details at the Dow Corning website.

Sold in stores Rex or do you order?

SignosaurusRex

I think the last load I got at a local upper end contractors supply. I usually stock up so it's been awhile. I don't recall if Lowe's or Home Depot carry it.