Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silva trim for channel letters.. tools?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signpost-boston, May 11, 2011.

1. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    glad you clicked on this. you do know what silvatrim is.. ( old stuff that was a plastic bag o' fun installing on acrylic letters. P.I.A.!!) my question is, where can i get the tool that cuts the "notch" off of the trim that is used to help "bend" the trim around channel letters... i am doing a retrofit with white letters and the old trim moulding crumbled off... any ideas? i have no idea what to call it, so, i can't even google it...
    thanks!
    Chris

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    I just use the corner of a square file - you are talking trimcap, no?

3. Westcoast Sign Guy

Westcoast Sign Guy Very Active Member

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Silvatrim is no more, but never heard of a tool to notch, unless you mean a hand notcher used for sheet metal and alum commonly used for notching returns of channel letters. I've never use that for trim cap, I've always used a drywall type knife to notch.

But PLASCO is back now *COUGH*, similar "J"trim, trim cap. :)

4. cgsigns_jamie

cgsigns_jamie Very Active Member

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I think Glantz still sells them.

I think it's called 'Nicker'.

6. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    Gino is right on both counts.

7. Westcoast Sign Guy

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    That's funny, I guess they make a tool for everything.

8. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    I'll back that up. It's called a nicker.

A nicker, you will find, is actually a dollar store quality pruning shear with a little 90 degree metal anvil welded to the tip and a little plastic flat bolted to the other tip to support the silvatrim and to bring the anvil down upon.

If you do a little edgetrim work, you will discover that for 90 degree turns around a letter edge, a 90 degree cut like the nicker provides is too wide an angle. To counter this, we used to always set the plastic flat of the tool for a sloppy fit so that the anvil would only slice about half of the face leg of the trim. You should always undercut the angle slightly and the corners will be tighter. Utility knife is all we use nowadays.

9. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    I have a Nicker and only cut thru half of the ridge, heat gun, and the warm plastic turns the corner like a dream, pinching itself closed and looking like a welded corner

10. Westcoast Sign Guy

Jan 3, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like maybe using the wrong trim cap for a particular letter. I like Jewellite too, but only on large letters over 30"+, anything smaller PLASCO Trim Cap. Much easier and faster to fabricate with, won't split on the corners, easier to notch, etc. I have signs that are 16/18 years old that still hang and the trim cap hasn't aged very bad.

11. miguelon.lizarraga

miguelon.lizarraga Active Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Silva is my last name. :)

12. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    DAMN!! This info is SO GOOD. Once it hits your LIPS!!!!!! BEER IS SOO GOOODDDD!!!!!
    thanks all....
    got it!!

13. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    I bought some linoleum style blades for my utility cutter. These work great for removing the old trim from around the letter. For notching, I use a straight blade or a mini pair of wire snips.

14. petrosgraphics

petrosgraphics Member

Feb 24, 2010
    cape cod, ma
    i have always used a small square file, aprox.1/4" wide, has worked great for years...

you can even nick the back edge of the trim.... makes for a little less resistance

when bending your angle......never liked the nicker, it always made to big a cut...