• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Silver Vinly Rusting?

Has anyone had this happen to their silver vinyl? It's a SW900 Silver Metalic vinyl and has been on the vehicle for 3-4 years. Any ideas on the cause?
20230804_081234.jpg
20230804_081026.jpg

MikePro

its burned from heat&sunexposure. Being in only one spot, for now, might be due to additional heavy exposure from sidemirror light reflection.
typically why they'll only rate metallic vinyls for exterior use around that amount of time, 2-3yrs.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
U/V exposure
Cast Metallic film doesn’t last as long as regular cast film.
Seen it happen with reflective vinyl too.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
With it being so localized I'm thinking something got on it there and then the sun did its thing. If it was just sun then I'd think more of the upper facing areas would also be affected. But as Mike said, if they always park in the same spot there could also be some localized reflection from something that is just hitting that area too.

Billct2

That's about the life for that type of material. That side of truck may have been parked daily facing south. Whe we use those types of material we add a cast clear over it