• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

silvering taking far to long going away

gabagoo

Lately I have noticed that the silvering from laminating seems to be taking longer to settle down. I suppose it is due to the colder weather and not leaving the shop temp all that high, especially at night.

I know it will go away over time, but if you need to cut the graphics afterwards, trying to get the electronic eye to see the registration marks is an exercise in futility.

Whats a good 3ml laminate that you have found that lays down with minimal silvering.

mopar691

Well I do not use 3M anything so no recommendation from me for that but I do always rub a squeegee across the reg marks prior to loading in the plotter to help solve this same problem. But I do only see this if I do not outgas for a full 24 hours.

Well I do not use 3M anything so no recommendation from me for that but I do always rub a squeegee across the reg marks prior to loading in the plotter to help solve this same problem. But I do only see this if I do not outgas for a full 24 hours.

I'm pretty sure he mean 3 mil, not 3M.

gabagoo

3M 2 ml is great stuff BTW. Can throw it into the cutter immediately after laminating, but a little cost prohibitive for 3ml vinyl decals and such.

I use a Summa cutter, and yes if you rub the little registration squares as the eye moves along it will eventually find them, but sometimes I like to multitask and not have to sit at the cutter for what seems an eternity while it tries to figure out where to cut.

Lifer

Our Graphtec also has difficulty sometimes reading crop marks through laminate. In its control panel there are settings to adjust the threshold - which helped tremendously. We occasionally darken some marks with a ballpoint pen or apply a small matt white sticker w/ crop marks over it, if it refuses to see it. (silver metallic material w/ Glossy laminate was the culprit)

J

john1

Well I do not use 3M anything so no recommendation from me for that but I do always rub a squeegee across the reg marks prior to loading in the plotter to help solve this same problem.

Works well for me too

Naskhan

Our Graphtec also has difficulty sometimes reading crop marks through laminate. In its control panel there are settings to adjust the threshold - which helped tremendously. We occasionally darken some marks with a ballpoint pen or apply a small matt white sticker w/ crop marks over it, if it refuses to see it. (silver metallic material w/ Glossy laminate was the culprit)

Yup Metalized Mylar and gloss laminate freaks out my graphtec too, I use a small piece of scotch tape on the reg marks to matte it for the sensor.