• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Similar but not exactly Frutiger

drakmie

I have been trying to identify this font. It is similar to Frutiger, the big items are how the A and W almost intersect the cropped top and bottom. When I find one that is close then the G doesn't match or the R. It would seem it is a standard font as it is used in a major Hotel chain.

Attachments

• warning.jpg
    warning.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 370

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'm coming up empty on this one. It is definitely not Frutiger.

If you want to put up some other letters we might get lucky, but it's not looking too good.

jimdes

I know I've seen this . . . pipe label on a submarine maybe which leads me to beleive it's probably an older typeset.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Okay here's the deal (I think).

I opened the PDF file in Acrobat and checked the document info for fonts. It lists out about a dozen or so fonts, most of which are Bitstream/Corel fonts like Swiss and Staccato which aren't being used in the examples you're trying to match.

Then it gets to Gill Sans and Gill Sans Bold and for whatever reason those fonts have not been embedded in the document while the rest have been. Embedding forces the font to remain unchanged. Unembedded fonts will be substituted based on details I don't fully understand.

The Gill Sans and Gill Sans Bold fonts, on my system, show a substitute font being used named Adobe Sans Multiple Master. Adobe Sans MM is not a commercially available font. It is supplied with Adobe Acrobat as a resource for substituting. As a multiple master font, it is very adaptable and will adjust it's boldness and width to meet the general parameters of the font it is substituting itself for.

Anyway, the bottom line is that the examples you are looking at are using a substitute font unless you have the same Postscript Type 1 versions of Gill Sans and Gill Sans Bold installed on your system. I attempted installing a set I have and it still is substituting Adobe Sans MM when I open the file. TrueType won't be used since Graphic Systems has used Type 1 versions unless you go into your Panose Font Substitution preferences in Windows and this may be overridden by Acrobat.

Bottom line ... You can probably drop Gill Sans and Gill Sans Bold in as a correct substitute for what you're seeing, but I'd be sure to point out the issue to your customer before committing time and materials.

drakmie

Don't I feel like a moron. I have had Acrobat and never tried to see what was embedded.:Oops:

Your right about it being Gil Sans and Gil Sans Bold (at least according to the text edit feature of Acrobat.) I was just going off what someone else had given me without looking at the PDF.

Well I guess i have learned something today.:thankyou:

drakmie

Don't know where they got it but that font displayed is anything but Gill Sans. Decided to pull the pdf into Illustrator to see is I could do something and low and behold the font is embedded in the pdf. but when i change it to my Gill Sans or anybody elses for that fact, it isn't even close. We have approval to go with Frutiger (about the closest we have).

Again Thanks for the help.