• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple Illustrator Question

Ok, I know this is possible and probably simple.

In Flexi there is a "cut out" function its right next to the weld icon. How do I cut out in Illustrator?

Let me clairify. In Illustrator I have 2 objects that overlap I want the top object to be cut out of the bottom object. How? in Flexi I just hit the "cut out" icon.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
you will find it under:
WINDOW>PATHFINDER.... top second button from the left

Rick

Expand finishes the pathfinder tool. Sometimes when you have strokes applied to your artwork, it may want you to "Expand Appearance".

If you do not "expand" or "expand appearance" you have the option of undoing your "Pathfinder" action but your cutter will cut the whole thing or not cut around the stroke.

I have yet to make use of that. If usually hit the ALT/OPTION key while in "pathfinder", and it expands at the same time.

signmeup

Expand finishes the pathfinder tool. Sometimes when you have strokes applied to your artwork, it may want you to "Expand Appearance".

If you do not "expand" or "expand appearance" you have the option of undoing your "Pathfinder" action but your cutter will cut the whole thing or not cut around the stroke.

I have yet to make use of that. If usually hit the ALT/OPTION key while in "pathfinder", and it expands at the same time.
Holy Frigg........ I can't even figure out how to get my drawing to stick to an art board.....whatever that is. I also keep making my artboard bigger than my canvas?

"Sometimes", "usually", and "it may" is freaking me out. I'm beginning to think that nothing is simple in Illustrator....

igneous

i think i've used illy soo much that i can't even figure out what you're asking

shift+ctrl+f9 brings up a window called pathfinder like rick said
make sure you're not working with non vector elements, that may be one reason the pathfind option ins't available

what's the prob with moving elements? did you get that figured out?

Rick

Holy Frigg........ I can't even figure out how to get my drawing to stick to an art board.....whatever that is. I also keep making my artboard bigger than my canvas?

"Sometimes", "usually", and "it may" is freaking me out. I'm beginning to think that nothing is simple in Illustrator....

The "Sometimes", "usually", and "it may" is that I do not know if there are effects in place (like strokes, gradient mesh, offset paths not compounded or if there is more to the question than asked.

you keep fighting the program like that and your gonna end up pushing your head through the moniter....