• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple issue: paper curl from roll while printing

Jeremy W

I have what feels like a very simple issue that probably has an easy solution the veterans have figured out.

Oftentimes rolls of certain types of media (particularly glitter and printable HTV) curls UPWARD when loaded on the machine, causing the print or cutting head to strike the paper on either side.

This can sometimes lead to a catastrophic failure, jamming up the motor and causing a hard stop, ruining the material in the process. Does anyone have any techniques to get the roll to rest flat or curl away from the head? I've resorted to literally standing at the machine while it cuts/prints, holding the paper edges down while dodging the head as it passes until enough material has fed through it holds itself down!

I'm about ready to just get some alligator clips on strings with weights and just clip them to either side of the paper while it's working!

Reveal1

You can feed two or 3 feet extra while loading and wind it on an empty roll the other direction to undo the 'memory' of enough material until you can attach to the take-up reel.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure the vacuum is turned all the way up and use the media guides. If you don't have media guides on your machine, look into getting some. Most printers come with them already installed but I have seen some that don't. The guides hold the edges down for you.

Jeremy W

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Part of the problem may be I don't have a take up reel - the business I'm at has sort of just swung from the hip for the last 7 years and doesn't really have all the tools to do business the right way, so I'm the first employee to come along and actually try to do things the right way I'm basically working with what I've got to make things work! I have switched to the long media clips on the SP-300i in question and that helps (had to make myself a warning magnet not to use the cutoff!). I may just use the weighted gator clips just to keep things smooth.