• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple Post Mount Question

SW101

Hi, I need a bit of advice on a post mount sign that I am doing. The sign is 2' tall x6' long Max Metal HD for the material. We are going to us two aluminum posts mounted centered on the sign at 2' and 4' intervals. I am also using two pieces of aluminum tubing to brace the back of the sign that will run all the way across the sign between the aluminum post. Hope all that makes sense. My question is.... the posts will be 12ft square posts with 8ft coming out of the ground. (Owner asked that the sign clear 6ft) I have only been in this business for 2.5 years so I'm a newbie and learning, with that being said would it be safe to use a 3x3x.125 post for that size sign, or should I explain to the owner that the price is going up a bit because we need to go with 4x4x.125 posts? I have always worked with wood, I understand the strengths of wood well, but metals are something I don't have much experience with yet. The sign will be in WV so usually the winds aren't bad but we still get your typical windy storms occasionally and I don't want the sign to fold at the posts, the first storm we get. Thanks for any advice and I apologize if this topic is posted somewhere but I honestly looked before I asked....

FS-Keith

the 3x3 would be fine, but the 4x4 would be better and look more appealing. Also use .125 alum and not maxmetal for this application.

SW101

Thanks so much for the reply

I'm curious to know why you say not to use Max Metal? I might learn something from that comment haha.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
As far as the overall look of 3" posts vs. 4" posts, do a quick sketch on graph paper and see if it makes a difference to you.

Other than aesthetics, there's no reason you can't use 3" posts and there's no reason you can't use ACM.