Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Question

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by Crown31, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Crown31

Crown31 New Member

Sep 4, 2013
    We just added sign making to our awards business and I have a basic question...I gave a price to supply ready to install vinyl storefront lettering. The contractor asked for a vinyl sample and "Cut Sheet" to show to architect. Should I assume that the cut sheet is simply a paper proof of the plotting paths that get sent to the plotter? Do these typically need to include any dimensional call-outs or any other info?

Tags:
  2. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Should include dimensions and other info like that on there to scale. Is this outdoors? What type of film are you going to use cast or cal?

3. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    Yes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shop_drawing

Typically, we show:
    • The dimensions of the sign and list the product specs on a scaled color drawing.
    • A scaled photo of the storefront/location with the image overlaid as it would appear in place.
    • Measurements of it's placement at the location.
    • Other pertinent installation info, diagrams or maps.
    • Company info, and signature areas for city, landlord, and customer approvals. (once you set this up, it's pretty easy to use as a template for future jobs.)

4. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Ok pay attention on how to deal with architects.

do a to scale layout listing all dimensions and sizes and mention you will be using 15 year vinyl from 3M (architects love 3M) and call it something like 3M XM-568 15 yr rated exterior solvent film.

after the job is approved and you get it, go out there and put up oracal 651 or whatever you normally stock on the window. Im not being a smarta$$ im trying to save you ALOT OF WASTED BS TIME ON THIS JOB.

The architects will waste days on something insignificant such as this. Now do what I say or play their wasteful game, been there done that.

5. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA..........................

6. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    true, another good suggestion. I hate architects. Their expectations exceed their clients' funds