• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Simple Question

Crown31

We just added sign making to our awards business and I have a basic question...I gave a price to supply ready to install vinyl storefront lettering. The contractor asked for a vinyl sample and "Cut Sheet" to show to architect. Should I assume that the cut sheet is simply a paper proof of the plotting paths that get sent to the plotter? Do these typically need to include any dimensional call-outs or any other info?

Mosh

Should include dimensions and other info like that on there to scale. Is this outdoors? What type of film are you going to use cast or cal?

vid

We just added sign making to our awards business and I have a basic question...I gave a price to supply ready to install vinyl storefront lettering. The contractor asked for a vinyl sample and "Cut Sheet" to show to architect. Should I assume that the cut sheet is simply a paper proof of the plotting paths that get sent to the plotter? Do these typically need to include any dimensional call-outs or any other info?

Yes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shop_drawing

Typically, we show:
  • The dimensions of the sign and list the product specs on a scaled color drawing.
  • A scaled photo of the storefront/location with the image overlaid as it would appear in place.
  • Measurements of it's placement at the location.
  • Other pertinent installation info, diagrams or maps.
  • Company info, and signature areas for city, landlord, and customer approvals. (once you set this up, it's pretty easy to use as a template for future jobs.)

visual800

Ok pay attention on how to deal with architects.

do a to scale layout listing all dimensions and sizes and mention you will be using 15 year vinyl from 3M (architects love 3M) and call it something like 3M XM-568 15 yr rated exterior solvent film.

after the job is approved and you get it, go out there and put up oracal 651 or whatever you normally stock on the window. Im not being a smarta$$ im trying to save you ALOT OF WASTED BS TIME ON THIS JOB.

The architects will waste days on something insignificant such as this. Now do what I say or play their wasteful game, been there done that.

visual800

This step only comes after they've made a commitment and have given a PO and/or deposit.

Otherwise you're spending the time to provide them with a "shopping list" to show any shop around town.

true, another good suggestion. I hate architects. Their expectations exceed their clients' funds