Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sintra for Spoilboard??

Discussion in 'Laser Cutters' started by briderx, Jun 2, 2009.

1. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    A guy here at my shop keeps recommending sintra for my spoilboard. Right now I use ultra lite fiber board... ULDF?? Ha.. Anyways, has anyone had any experience with sintra?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    i could see it being pressed down from clamping and becoming misshapen (sp?)

I use MDF

3. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    OOh.. I should add: I use a vacuum for holddown.

4. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    heh sintra should work, but more expensive maybe?

5. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I don't think the vaccuum passes through the sintra. If you're gluing, or mounting your workpiece on the sintra, then Ok.

We use MDF. The vaccuum has no problem passing through and when it gets beat up, you can just reface it.

6. encadtech

encadtech Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Higganum CT
    We used the cintra as the first board on the table of the aluminum bed. This allowed us to create a nice vaccum bed on which we set a sheet of 13mm Trupan. Happy cuttin.

7. Biker Scout

Biker Scout Very Active Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Where do you buy Trupan or ULDF from?

I did a search about a year ago and never came up with any solid leads. Trupan comes out of Chile, was all I was able to come up with. Lowe's and Home Depot don't know what ULDF is, they keep telling me that MDF is better. So, I've just been using MDF that I've planed down a bit.

8. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Ultra-Lite Density Fiberboard..

I have done more research and it seems that if enough holes are drilled into the sintra it makes a KILLER spoilboard.. Another forum I am joined up on gave me that tip. He said the suction is great and allows his low powered vacuum to keep up with his bigger one. I think next time I will try it.. Would be nice to have spoilboard that doesn't swell..

9. briderx

briderx Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Lowe's and Home Depot don't know what ULDF is - That's your main problem. You're calling Lowe's and Home Depot :). Try someone like Gray Lumber or some sort of warehouse type place that specializes in concrete, wood and that type of stuff..

10. TJ Duvall

TJ Duvall New Member

Aug 11, 2004
    I use Komatex similar but cheaper than sintra. I have a Gerber Sabre and it has holes in it for the vacuum to pass thru. Works great.

11. RanchoMattPS

RanchoMattPS New Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Palm Springs, CA
    Sintra spoilboard

I am using Sintra for my spoilboard on a Gerber Sabre 408 router and I absolutely love it. I use a colored board, usually blue so i can easily tell if i am cutting too deep. I change it maybe once a year.

Matt
    Sign*A*Rama
    Palm Desert, CA