• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Size of vinyl

smclark

I just got a 36" plotter to do some vinyl lettering around my home, when purchasing the vinyl do I need 15" or 24" I will be doing some large and some small projects?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Welcome from PA.....................

I usually don't answer questions to someone's first post, but I do believe your answer is written in your own question......got a 36" plotter

BrianKE

You don't say what type of plotter you purchased, but any decent plotter should be able to use just about any size vinyl up to the max width (36" in your case). I know on the Graphtec I have the pinch rollers are positionable to allow any width of material to be cut from 1" wide to 24" wide ( I have just a 24" wide plotter).

Hopefully you can do this with your plotter or you are bound to waste a lot of vinyl. You will invariably have some rather large 'scrap' pieces (leftover, uncut vinyl) from a previous job which you can salvage and use on future jobs as long as your cutter can adjust for the width of the scrap piece.

Brian Enderle
Plus Signs, LLC

We use an assortment of vinyls here, 15", 20" & 24", and 30"

I would suggest using 15" & 30", that way for smaller jobs you have the 15", and larger the 30".

Or you may want to break it up differently, 30+" vinyl, and then a smaller size.

Larger for signs w/o overlaps, etc. and the smaller for smaller signs, decals, cut vinyl, etc. etc.

Just my opinion though, others have been in the game a lot longer than I have, so take my advice & opinons with a grain of salt..it has just been what's worked well for me.

hammered

Most cutters can take sizes from 2" to its max. Least my Graphtec and Roland does. Should say in your manual what the range in widths are.

ndemond

I just got a 36" plotter to do some vinyl lettering around my home, when purchasing the vinyl do I need 15" or 24" I will be doing some large and some small projects?

Is it sprocket fed or friction?
36" punched for sprocket.
Any size that will fit if friction.

Welcome from the Midwest!

R08

Hey SM,

Seems a bit much to buy a plotter for signs " around the house". Can you tell us what kind of signs you are doing around your house?

Let me guess... you have a fairly large house and using it for your business... maybe a bed n breakfast?

Anyways.. welcome.