• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Skateboard graphics??

SebastienL

We have printed on all kinds of irregular surfaces on our flatbed. It can absolutely be done. The only problem I see is how are you going to hold the skateboard on the table?

jdigital

Correct me if I'm wrong but skateboards are typically made with several layers of wood. I believe the last layer is screen printed with graphics then glued and molded together. If there is a way to get the last layer painted and digitally printed on a flatbed, then sent out to be glued with the other layers, there could be a great opportunity to produce these boards at a cheaper rate then screen printing.

jeroen

been a while since I last skateboarded...
But AFAIK, the graphix are the last step in the manufacturing process

SebastienL

I'll correct you cause you're wrong!! jeroen is right, the graphics are screenprinted last. I think you might be thinking of snowboards, which is a completely different fabrication proccess. It is feasable to print on the completed deck on youre flatbed, but you are going to figure out a jig to hold it place.

On the other hand, you could just "wrap" the boards, but I don't think a wrap would last very long! Those skaters type tend to have a destructive nature.

Good luck:Canada 2:

jdigital

Correct me??? That's exactly what I said in my last post Sebastien!! Graphics are printed last.
I should know, i've been skating for 15 years. What I want to know is if there is a way to get the last layer of veneer from the manufacturer and digitally print it before it's molded. I know there are heat transfers, but they don't give you a great output of color and durability. Someone mentioned to me about using a floor/cement PSV then applying it to the board, but it would seem to peel/rip off as you're skating on it.

jeroen

what I meant was that the boards are printed AFTER they've been glued, molded/pressed, cut to shape, drilled, sanded and painted

but maybe they've changed the process... I haven't skated for a little over 15 years :Big Laugh

jdigital

Wow, what a process. I'd like to see how they screen print a concave board. must involve a lot of skill

SebastienL

Correct me??? That's exactly what I said in my last post Sebastien!! Graphics are printed last.
I should know, i've been skating for 15 years. What I want to know is if there is a way to get the last layer of veneer from the manufacturer and digitally print it before it's molded. I know there are heat transfers, but they don't give you a great output of color and durability. Someone mentioned to me about using a floor/cement PSV then applying it to the board, but it would seem to peel/rip off as you're skating on it.

I would contact a manufacturer, they are in a better position to answer that than me. But I doubt it. It would add an extra step in the fabrication proccess, which translate in more $$$$.

jdigital

I did find white grip tape. The only option to test this concept is to print on normal sandpaper on see how well it holds up.

speedmedia

Be pretty cool if you could get this to work. Be a neat niche.

I think I recall from my days of skateboarding way back when that they have a transparent style grib tape. I want to say one of my old Mike McGill boards has some stuff printed on the top and have clear/transparent grip tape.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

mekazilla

Screen printing skateboards is a lost art. The screens are bent to fit the shape of the board when a full tip to tail graphics is used. You can use a flat screen and just print between the wheels. The screens are a bit looser than normal.
Most skateboard graphics now are applied with a specialized heat transfer roller. The image is printed onto a release film either by offset press or silkscreen. The reason for the heat roller is that it conforms to the board shape and gives more consistent and faster results. Misprints will only mess up one release film instead of the board itself.

there are other options to printing using dye sublimation inks. Printed onto a release liner then a flat heatpress is used on just that layer of wood. This is the same process used as snowboard topsheets. It is good for one off prints and digital photo prints, but it is more costly to manufacture.

Printed griptape has been done. usually it has a clear grip with the image printed between the grip and the adhesive layer.

I've been skating for 25yrs, owned a retail skate shop and worked for a skate and snowboard manufacturer aswell.
it seems like everything has been tried and done but there's always something new to learn still.
I'd like to find the right print setup to digitally print right to the heat release film. yet to be done as far as I know.

well screenprinting skateboards is not a lost are but it is quickly fading. i have sold multiple custom setups to skateboard manufacturers that ranged from manual setups to completely automated presses. Mekazilla is correct the screens are not stretched NO WHERE near as tight, in fact if someone thatprinted but had never printed skateboards saw the screen they would think it was so loose it was unuseable. for boards that are going to be printed with graphics covering the entire bottom there are frames that are flat for the body of the board but then taper to follow the nose and tail, loose screens on custom frames coupled with a very soft squeegee and a graphic artist who is familiar with the printing process and can create or modify the art to be somewhat forgiving with generous traps it is amazing what can be printed.

ive also modified and built custom machines to print baseball/softball bats, which was a bigger headache than skateboards.

Snowbiter

I have printted on skateboard griptape using white ink and i have wrapped a snowboard that was used a entire season byu proffesional snowboard instructor who put it through its paces. You will find a lot of problems printing to grip tape namely chinas prices!!