Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sled Wrap...???

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by Ink Splash Graphics, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Ink Splash Graphics

Ink Splash Graphics Member

Nov 12, 2007
    I have a huge demand for sled graphics and I have been trying to create my own templates with little success... I feel a wrap would look a lot better though so I am going to give it hell... My biggest question is what is the easiest way to layout the design for this? Take a front, left & right shot of the sled and scale each photo to a specified measurement... then do I create a mask that will allow the design to fit the sled for design purposes but have it print in one solid sheet?

What have you guys that have done sleds in the past or present...what do you do for design?

Thanks for any info, also let me know what vinyl/lam you use for the sleds...

Tags:
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Sleds? I assume that's a smart mans term for Snowmobile? Or are you wrappin' like...saucer sleds?

3. Sparky

Sparky Active Member

Sep 1, 2007
    With all the curves, you may be better off tracing/cutting a large piece of paper and making a template from that. You could mock one up , but for printing, you will want a flat piece of paper to design on. Just my thought on how I would handle it.

4. Ink Splash Graphics

Nov 12, 2007
    Yes, sled is of the "motor" decent :wink: as in snowmobile... easier to call it a sled.

5. rcook99

rcook99 Very Active Member

May 25, 2006
    NE
    I hope you are getting good money doing these. The time it takes to lay out the template for each style sled(Snowmobile). And then have to keep changing them for each new hood the companies develop as the years go by. (SKI DOO, ARCTIC CAT, POLARIS, YAMAHA) But good luck with it.

6. ChiknNutz

ChiknNutz Major Contributor

Apr 18, 2003
    Here's our only sled wrap to date. We used wide paper and traced over the panels to make the templates. Honestly, you really can't charge enough for these things. We've had several ask after seeing this one, but this one is the only one so far! It is supposedly gonna show up in some sled-head magazine. Still, this was a cool project and it was a brand-new sled...never even been started yet.

Attached Files:

7. Ruddbow

Ruddbow Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Central Iowa
    this the new shop Chris?

8. ackerman139

ackerman139 Member

Jul 31, 2007
    We produce ALOT of snocross/ sled stuff.

I have wrapped sleds, as well as offer individual peices.

Easiest thing i can tell you is... make your own templates out of transfer tape, paper, thick paper, or w/e you have. Takes a few hrs, but as long as you have them accurate, it looks very very clean instead of being wrapped.

If you really want to go the wrapped route, I usually split the hood into two peices. Right down the middle. I use one peice for each side panel, and tunnel..etc.

Hope this helps.

9. ChiknNutz

Apr 18, 2003
    Yep, what little you can see of it.

10. Ink Splash Graphics

Nov 12, 2007
    Yes, this is what I am working on. I've been doing banners and some small sign/vehicle stuff...but the motorsport industry, mostly recreation, is where my passion is. I am doing some motocross graphics but I have a huge demand for snowmobile stuff. Everyone wants custom sleds so it is a win win...just need to work at it and get the hang of it... have to start somewhere right :)

Note: Looks like we are both Chris'... I saw his reply just above this one

11. Ruddbow

Ruddbow Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Sorry for the confusion "Chris's" I'd like to see your set-ups.

12. phil duncan

phil duncan Member

Feb 8, 2004
    canada
  13. ackerman139

ackerman139 Member

Jul 31, 2007
    my name is also Chris! if that makes things more confusing!!

Here are a couple of many weve done. Let us know if you need some assistance, id be glad to help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

How much time is is taking to design and install AND what are you guys getting for wrapping a sled?

15. ChiknNutz

Apr 18, 2003
    Well on ours (since first one) we of course had a lot of time into it. We had, in reality, about 10 hrs of design and installation. Installation on this was 4 hrs by itself. We low-balled the price (just out of sheer ignorance) but ended up getting about $700 for it...shoulda been about 50% more! This one was a PITA with all the compound sharp angles going on there.

16. ackerman139

ackerman139 Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Our Polaris IQ kits go for $400 due to the large tunnels, and the rev xp ( like the other one pictured) go for $375.

It takes, myself, approx 1.5 hrs to install all kits.

More time is made making templates, but that is all part of the bizzzz

-Chris

17. ManningSigns

ManningSigns Member

Aug 3, 2004
    what vinyl are you using for the wraps. I have made some panel kits with convex vinyl. I didn't think regular vinyl would stick.

18. Ink Splash Graphics

Nov 12, 2007
    The templates are what I'm having trouble with...any suggestions for making them? I assume the same goes for any template design, mx, atv, seadoo, skidoo...etc...

How do you do it?

19. waximoff

waximoff Member

May 8, 2007
    Brighton, MI
    I see its been awhile since any posts on this thread. I had a guy come in today looking for a set of graphics for a 06' skidoo rev mxz 440. Ive seen some killer wraps on sites like sledwraps.com and was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a set of templates?

20. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    Some graphics i made for one. Made my own templates

Attached Files: