• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sled Wrap...???

I have a huge demand for sled graphics and I have been trying to create my own templates with little success... I feel a wrap would look a lot better though so I am going to give it hell... My biggest question is what is the easiest way to layout the design for this? Take a front, left & right shot of the sled and scale each photo to a specified measurement... then do I create a mask that will allow the design to fit the sled for design purposes but have it print in one solid sheet?

What have you guys that have done sleds in the past or present...what do you do for design?

Thanks for any info, also let me know what vinyl/lam you use for the sleds...

Sparky

With all the curves, you may be better off tracing/cutting a large piece of paper and making a template from that. You could mock one up , but for printing, you will want a flat piece of paper to design on. Just my thought on how I would handle it.

rcook99

I hope you are getting good money doing these. The time it takes to lay out the template for each style sled(Snowmobile). And then have to keep changing them for each new hood the companies develop as the years go by. (SKI DOO, ARCTIC CAT, POLARIS, YAMAHA) But good luck with it.

ChiknNutz

Here's our only sled wrap to date. We used wide paper and traced over the panels to make the templates. Honestly, you really can't charge enough for these things. We've had several ask after seeing this one, but this one is the only one so far! It is supposedly gonna show up in some sled-head magazine. Still, this was a cool project and it was a brand-new sled...never even been started yet.

Attachments

• SkiDoo_2.JPG
    SkiDoo_2.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 259
  • SkiDoo_1.JPG
    SkiDoo_1.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 262
  • SkiDoo_3.JPG
    SkiDoo_3.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 247
  • SkiDoo_4.JPG
    SkiDoo_4.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 219

ackerman139

We produce ALOT of snocross/ sled stuff.

I have wrapped sleds, as well as offer individual peices.

Easiest thing i can tell you is... make your own templates out of transfer tape, paper, thick paper, or w/e you have. Takes a few hrs, but as long as you have them accurate, it looks very very clean instead of being wrapped.

If you really want to go the wrapped route, I usually split the hood into two peices. Right down the middle. I use one peice for each side panel, and tunnel..etc.

Hope this helps.

this the new shop Chris?

Yes, this is what I am working on. I've been doing banners and some small sign/vehicle stuff...but the motorsport industry, mostly recreation, is where my passion is. I am doing some motocross graphics but I have a huge demand for snowmobile stuff. Everyone wants custom sleds so it is a win win...just need to work at it and get the hang of it... have to start somewhere right :)

Note: Looks like we are both Chris'... I saw his reply just above this one

ackerman139

my name is also Chris! if that makes things more confusing!!

Here are a couple of many weve done. Let us know if you need some assistance, id be glad to help!

Photo_01.jpg

IMG_2495.JPG

l_1811d07a0de5947e43bf46b6ab4315dd.jpg

main.htm

029.jpg

ChiknNutz

Well on ours (since first one) we of course had a lot of time into it. We had, in reality, about 10 hrs of design and installation. Installation on this was 4 hrs by itself. We low-balled the price (just out of sheer ignorance) but ended up getting about $700 for it...shoulda been about 50% more! This one was a PITA with all the compound sharp angles going on there.

ackerman139

Our Polaris IQ kits go for $400 due to the large tunnels, and the rev xp ( like the other one pictured) go for $375.

It takes, myself, approx 1.5 hrs to install all kits.

More time is made making templates, but that is all part of the bizzzz

-Chris

ManningSigns

what vinyl are you using for the wraps. I have made some panel kits with convex vinyl. I didn't think regular vinyl would stick.

Our Polaris IQ kits go for $400 due to the large tunnels, and the rev xp ( like the other one pictured) go for $375.

It takes, myself, approx 1.5 hrs to install all kits.

More time is made making templates, but that is all part of the bizzzz

-Chris

The templates are what I'm having trouble with...any suggestions for making them? I assume the same goes for any template design, mx, atv, seadoo, skidoo...etc...

How do you do it?

waximoff

I see its been awhile since any posts on this thread. I had a guy come in today looking for a set of graphics for a 06' skidoo rev mxz 440. Ive seen some killer wraps on sites like sledwraps.com and was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a set of templates?