• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Slow day in the shop

W

wetgravy

So today is a slow day in the shop, so I went through this weeks stack of design quotes for people who don't want to pay for an art fee but want some custom work done. This one design starts to stand out at me from the notes I jotted down so out came the illustration pens and off I went. I still have some work to do (couple alternate layouts from the circular layout that he wanted) but I like where it is heading.

Edit: I should also note, the propaganda type poster was just for amusement sake.

Attachments

• HAND.jpg
    HAND.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 100
W

wetgravy

Also on today's agenda, worked through some quick flexi effect logos (double strokes, perspective stuff, drop shadows, etc ... the ussual b.s. truckers like) designed out a couple cow skulls for a customer (I'll post that later), had 2 "car clubs" come in wanting some graphics. first was a couple guys that wanted their car club "Angry Cocks Car Club" to have a some chrome decals to hand out ... I obliged by giving them an angry rooster with that in a circular pattern around it ... rooster is attached. Also created a crest for the "kustom krew" (all lower case) ... attached as well.

In all, I made about 20 graphics today for proofing. what have you guys done?

Attachments

• ruffled-cock.jpg
    ruffled-cock.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 92
  • MISC-3.jpg
    MISC-3.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 95
W

wetgravy

Here is that cow skull a customer wanted for their door signs. Not much to it, wanted something "original" and "none of that clipart chit" ... liked my sketch ... here it is vectored.

Attachments

• 261149_n.jpg
    261149_n.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 129
W

wetgravy

nope. the "kustom krew" wanted to know what I could do to make a "sick" graphic for their car club, they may or may not be back later to get the vinyl decals and the rooster was a rooster they e-mailed me and was just a quick silhouette vector, they got 20 decals so I didn't mind spending 10 minutes to vector that for them. the cow skull, customer hasn't seen, neither has randy's logo been seen by randy. basically, on any given week I get about 10 or 15 jobs that I need to make proofs for since the customer may not want to wait the 15 or 20 minutes to throw one together (generally though they don't want to wait in line for their graphics) or they want something custom like the cow skull or fist holding a wrench but don't want to pay the art fee to get it made. I tell them that if they leave me the info, if I can get some free time when I'm not tending shop (the shop is a chrome/graphics business ... so I do occasional stock and customer service stuff) or if I don't have anyone else I'm doing a graphics job for ... I may get around to doing a mock up to fill the dead time. Sadly, in the last 6 months I've had about 6 days that I could do so. After about a month, those mock up requests go in a file drawer in case they come back and have time to do it right then and there. I don't e-mail these out, nor are they just given away ... like Randy's Mobile Diesel Service will pay for the rights to the art, in addition to any work they need done ... standard logo fee for about an hours worth of work. I've never been one to shy away from "spec" work since 99% of the art that doesn't get sold goes in a folder to be recycled into someone's design in the future. Also I've found that asking the right questions can cut my design time in half ... plus there is always the fact that a lot of the stuff I do at this job will never be trademarked and most customers just want something that looks fancy, readable and to the point ... so after 15-20 minutes I can get something to a stage the customer is happy with ... then it's just cut and move on. (that and in the last 6 months I've created a 24x48 panel of examples that hangs above my desk so customers point out what they like I can go from there.

It's actually quite funny, every week I go home with a small wad of tips from customers who think I did an awesome job ... where my predecessor received one tip in over 3 years. So, I must be doing something right :)