• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Slowing down in February...time to catch my breath

Stacey K

I like making signs
The last 2 weeks it's slowed down for me. I have several jobs in the works and some big installs scheduled for next month but the day to day phone and emails have slowed. It's been non-stop since April so it is nice to catch my breath and catch up a little bit. We are also going to visit my parents in FL in March.

I'm making a list of things I want to get done in my down time. My list is a little different than the last couple years. This past year I experienced a gain in online/text/FB sales vs. inside sales (everyone has). And I was so busy once that PPP money got distributed I almost lost my mind.

Three things I want to work on:

1. Improve my website for online sales
2. Improve my work flow in the shop.
3. Improve my order forms, etc. - got a start on that thanks to a previous post!
4. Figure out my garden plan - non-work related but I put plenty of thinking time in during work hours LOL

What about everyone else? If you are slowing down now until early Spring, like me, what are your plans?

rjssigns

Darn near the same for me.
Order form wise my wife made a user form for me in Excel. Booking a bunch of boats already and can no longer keep track of jobs on a dry erase board.
Dad is starting plants from seeds as he's done since Columbus was in diapers.:D(he'll be 95 this year)
Said he will have tomato plants for me. They're a variety of paste tomato with almost zero seeds and pulp.
That and some beefsteaks, basil, oregano, lettuce..well you get the picture.
Workflow is about spot on for me. Maybe some rearranging of a couple things but that's about it.

Looking forward to getting on the boats in my outdoor office. Fun to irritate the wife with text's of me on a yacht by the Michigan Street bridge.
Yeah I know I'm a little stinker.:p

myront

CorelDRAW is best
It's the annual start of little league baseball season here. 50 teams. Usually around 30 "team" banners & 30 "sponsor" banners. 1.5 designers. Banners are all hand hemmed and 6 grommets each. Sponsor signs are the same except they also get wind holes. All to be done before opening day on 8 March. Team banners get all players names & numbers, coaches names , team parent/s names, sponsor logos and team name. Luckily we have templates from previous years. We call it our hell week. Of course all while keeping other jobs on track.

p.s. coming to Florida? Stop in and visit us. lol

rjssigns

It's the annual start of little league baseball season here. 50 teams. Usually around 30 "team" banners & 30 "sponsor" banners. 1.5 designers. Banners are all hand hemmed and 6 grommets each. Sponsor signs are the same except they also get wind holes. All to be done before opening day on 8 March. Team banners get all players names & numbers, coaches names , team parent/s names, sponsor logos and team name. Luckily we have templates from previous years. We call it our hell week. Of course all while keeping other jobs on track.

Hand hemmed? I used to do that years ago until I realized there was a boat canvas manufacturer right around the corner.:doh:. Those ladies on the sewing machines are ridiculously fast. Now I use banner tape or sub out if there's more than three.(yes I ran the numbers)

Stacey K

I like making signs

If you were in Fort Myers I might! My boyfriend is scared to death to leave home so only going Friday to Monday LOL I have some baseball signs here but most of the artwork is ready just waiting for final approvals!

Stacey K

I like making signs
Darn near the same for me.
Order form wise my wife made a user form for me in Excel. Booking a bunch of boats already and can no longer keep track of jobs on a dry erase board.
Dad is starting plants from seeds as he's done since Columbus was in diapers.:D(he'll be 95 this year)
Said he will have tomato plants for me. They're a variety of paste tomato with almost zero seeds and pulp.
That and some beefsteaks, basil, oregano, lettuce..well you get the picture.
Workflow is about spot on for me. Maybe some rearranging of a couple things but that's about it.

Looking forward to getting on the boats in my outdoor office. Fun to irritate the wife with text's of me on a yacht by the Michigan Street bridge.
Yeah I know I'm a little stinker.:p
I "accidently" bought 7 varieties of tomatoes...amish paste, beefsteak, early girl, and I wanted to try something different this year so I bought white, black and a Berkeley tie-dye and Brads Atomic Tomato LOL I will only plant one of each of the latter. Peppers, etc same as you otherwise!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 78
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 83

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Last two weeks have been slow for me too... but one of those weeks everything was closed.

I spent most of two days getting my taxes together... 99% done and pretty much ready to file in April.

gnubler

I also experienced a lull during the past two weeks, with a few days where the phone didn't ring at all. End of winter hibernation? Winter is a slow time here overall, for everybody. Some businesses just close until March or April. Then suddenly some new orders came out of nowhere and things are picking up. Stock orders have been delayed from the big storm.

I'm also doing all the things Stacy listed, along with still figuring out my pricing so I can be both competitive and profitable. Brand new in business. I also work part time on a farm and grow for market, so will be getting my hands dirty starting next week.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's a little quiet here but still have a lot of work. It happens throughout the year. Phones go quiet and the backlog slims up.
My list is to get my website fixed, paint the inside of our shop and office, finish landscaping the front drive and finish clearing our fence line. Some of this stuff has been on the list for a few years.
Our current project is a 40' conex box that we bought to make into a paint mixing room. Have to put in a man door at each end, explosion proof light and explosion proof fans to keep it ventilated. Also going to either pour a curb or piers to set it on and fasten it down.

mfatty500

aah, I have a sister like that, hates to fly, always a white knuckle flight with her. Florida is a nice place to visit, that's enough for me. Florida, the land of newlyweds & nearly-dead's....and of course a battle of the blue hairs for bingo, and flea markets, although I like those big flea markets that serve beer..

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Still going strong here in Florida.
Still printing and cutting 12 to 16 rolls of vinyl per week. Im tired.
Making the 3rd trip to the Florida Keys and Orders shipping to the Carolinas, Tennessee, Galveston and South Padre Island Texas. Their Spring Break is ready to start.
And now Bike Week 2021 in Daytona Beach is starting next weekend. So everybody needs something NOW.
Wednesday I will be Ordering enough vinyl and ink for two weeks because we are by the World Famous Iron Horse Saloon and deliveies are impossible.