• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

small backlit letters

Liighthead

hey pretty sure this is the right area, if not sorry :/ can i get it moved in the right direction :)

but been working on a computer case mod, yeah not a sign but need some sign intelligence..
its to represent a small forum " www.losias.net "
pretty much small computer mods/hardware

but anyway as its for a small case. it has small letters lol
this is the case, dimensions are 180mm x 180mm x 65.. :)

5-1.jpg

wanting a clear acrylic window on the side ( prefer but might be able to change if it fits in )

the letters on the side
7-1.jpg
the L SIAS ( grey letters ) are about 30mm high, the logo/the O is about 80mm

wanting to get them backlit, would help to make it stand out from just some writing on the side of a window

any ideas how to get it lit? (( and yes the logo on the front will also be lit up)

was thinking of making the letters from white or clear acrylic and the logo from a orange, putting a vinyl over it all ( a grey on the letters and orange on the logo. ) then put small .. yeah very small leds behind the letters.

also first post here, :) hi
i worked at "bentleigh sign group" in moorabin for about 6 or 7 months proably 4 months ago? was good just bit of a travel on a bus >.< so looking again for a job... :/

anyways thanks in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Agreed on the edge lighting.

Have the outline of the letters routed into the back of the acrylic panel. Apply your vinyl to the front, trying to keep it inset slightly from the routed portion on the back so that the lighting will 'outline' the vinyl. Run a string of LED's along any of the edges of the acrylic panel.

You could also backlight it with LED's, but they would have to be set a little ways away from the acrylic, otherwise they'll pinpoint and you'd see each individual LED.

Liighthead

sorry not a business, just a case im building from scratch to promote a website
just a hobby, computers, building / modifying cases ect just needed bit of help, thought a sign place would be a good place togo since basically a small sign? haha :)
would be nice to be back in a sign business though :)

was thinking about edge lit, only thing that was bothering me was wouldn the O be same colour as the rest of it?
but yeah i could route out the back and vinyl. simple and would work haha,

umm, if put a orange vinyl over the logo, arfter etching out the back that should glow a orange.. slightly ?

Liighthead

nah it'll glow whatever color LED's you use

yeah was wanting the L SIAS to glow a white, with grey vinyl and the logo to be a orange :/
main reason i wasnt sure about etching it out and having it side lit..

mainly just needs to slightly light up the orange.. like a semi see though vinyl on the logo? and more of a blackout over the rest of the letters?

spawk

They make a vinyl application that looks like etch. i have used it in the past and when lit it gives the appearance of frosted glass. even on plexi. you can also use a different color vinyl for the design in the middle and even if you use regular clear LED'S the different color vinyls will light up in their individual tone. Just a thought.