• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

small defects after laminating

jaybeeb

Hi everyone, we've been using General Formulations 203 gloss with Oracal 210 gloss and we're getting quite a lot of these small white marks, sometimes they look like small white bumps and sometimes more like a small scratch.. we can print forever without a flaw, but after we laminate the problem occurs. We are using a Seal 54 set at 60 with heat-assist. To me it looks like these defects are in the laminate... but I don't have much experience with this.

I have some experience hot laminating with a 12" machine, but I am new to cold or heat assisted wide format. So I'm not sure if this is normal for this type of laminate or not?

Attachments

• photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 132
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 167

Intense01

Looks like dust or something to me... I get some silvering with 210 lam but I don't have the heat assist. Does it happen on every roll or just this roll of lam?

Drip Dry

Not sure if it's dust. I get the same problem with 210.
I'm in the process of trying a different brand. I think it's a defect in the laminate

jaybeeb

The supplier says it might be dust too. But I am printing dozens of feet flawlessly, and rolling in up in the take up reel. Then laminating it the next day from the roll. This is all in a very clean room. I am being very careful, so I am wondering if this is dust.. is it present within the roll from the factory?

jaybeeb

I am very new to this, so this is only my 2nd 150' roll.. but the problem has been present since the start.

jaybeeb

Not sure if it's dust. I get the same problem with 210.
I'm in the process of trying a different brand. I think it's a defect in the laminate

I think I will do the same, please post if you find something that works well with 203.

wildside

it could be dust, try a tack cloth as it is running just kinda wiping as it goes before the pinch rollers, helps here

also, oracal 210 is known to have little "divets" in it is what i call them, a quick hit with a torch after installation and they are gone, don't know why they are there, but never had to replace any prints because of them, just learned to deal with it i guess, but the lam performs well for us

these "divets" are maybe 5-6 of them in an entire 150 roll, so not a ton of them

jfiscus

Rap Master
Is it possible that your rollers on your laminator have a small dent/nick that is causing this? Is it always on one side/area of the material?

LenR

That happens when you don't correctly clean the print prior to laminating.
I clean twice JIC.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I highly doubt the laminate has dust under it prior to coming off the backing. It looks like you laminated something from your clean environment in there. Just don't charge extra for the 'extras' you're giving the end-user and all should be fine.

I too, think you're getting your printed media contaminated somewhere along the line in your shop. It's really just a matter of being more observant, than anything else.

jaybeeb

Thanks for your replies guys. I will try running a tack cloth over it just prior to laminating.

And have a close look at the rollers to see if there is any problems there.

AutoGraphx

I get those same "pimples" using a different brand of laminate with a Big Squeegee. I figured I was doing something wrong. I was covering a 2'x3' print the other week and halfway thru applying the laminate I saw a small fly on it. I stopped to pick it off and realized it was between the laminate and the backing. I had to carefully cut him out after I was finished.

CanuckSigns

i get those same marks when i use the General Formulations laminate, never had an issue with 210, except for the last 5 or so feet on the roll, which is usually wrinkled.

HulkSmash

as you laminate, you want to have a tac cloth handy to wipe every inch as it goes through the laminator.

J

john1

i get those same marks when i use the General Formulations laminate, never had an issue with 210, except for the last 5 or so feet on the roll, which is usually wrinkled.

GF gloss laminate works beautifully here

Custom_Grafx

Had a gigantic mosquito encapsulated into the lam a few weeks ago. Anything is possible. Open window at the factory apparently.

JoshLoring

Never had any problems with 210 LAM. I will say, it's a cold laminate... So why use heat assist? Kinda defeats the manufacturer recommended cold lam suggestions.. Just sayin

gabagoo

I find general formulation laminates have the most static of all the laminates I have tried. On dry days I fear using it for my own safety lol

I want to also say that I am never running pvc through my panelsaw again as the dust created is near impossible to control and even though the laminator is in a different room the stuff basically goes everywhere.... Tac cloths work great and so do the cheap dollar store look a like swiffers