• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small format and Rich Colours Wanted :)

moto1

Im trying to make a decision on which machine to purchase for my sport vehicle graphics business. basically we make kits for Go Carts, Buggies, Quad bikes etc. I was stuck on gettting the Edge FX then the BN20 Roland cam along but its colours are not as punchy as I would have expected from a $9000 inkjet machine. I havent purchased the machine just yet but need to make a decision asap and cannot see many options in the market for a machine capable of high resolution and high impact colours apart from the Gerber.

After a quick overview of the Gerber forum it seems many users are having problems with their machines. Is the Edge the only foil option for great colours and special effect printing?

i think its a summa that also has the foil option, but have never seen or dealt with one. we have an edge fx and its great for vibrant spot colors. it can do any color as well as metalics etc...maybe is worth having a look. you can probably get some samples from a dealer in your area.

moto1

i think its a summa that also has the foil option, but have never seen or dealt with one. we have an edge fx and its great for vibrant spot colors. it can do any color as well as metalics etc...maybe is worth having a look. you can probably get some samples from a dealer in your area.

I recieved a couple of small samples from the Gerber and its miles ahead of inkjet in terms of solid blocks of colour, any colour you want :) I checked the Summa threads and there are only 3 posts so Im assuming they are not very popular or have as many foils to choose from.

If anyone is selling a used Edge FX maybe they should drop me a PM :)
Its just at the moment i dont have the budget for both machines, hopefully this will change down the track when business picks up.

frontside

technologies are different in the 2 printers you mention , and the goals to achieve must be different .
Right , the gerber gives vibrant colors , but it runs slow (very slow) when we talk about productivity . and the ridiculous printing width should be a real problem to consider knowing the work you tend to do .
My friends that had one dege fx to do MX graphics have switched to eco solvent printer because the encountered some problems using the edge:
- they had to do weird templates for shrouds (too big for a 13" printer ) , 2 pieces for one shroud is not good for customers .... imagine for go carts and buggies
- their productivity was too small because the edge (fx) is very slow
- the use of this thermal printer shut them the doors for other business opportuities such as car/truck graphics , panels and many more

They didn't sell their gerber however , they use it for small sticker runs .and they are very pleased about using it once a week .
But they definitly think they have done the right choice for their business ... ask somebody else that do motorsport graphics on this forum and using the roland range of product , you can reach a vibrant colors library if you know how to use your printer .... in my case a roland sp300i and i print MX graphics almost every day .

moto1

Im giving the local distibutor another chance to show me what the machine can do and also see if there are any print settings that he still hasnt learnt about yet, afterall it is a new machine.
The print width of the gerber was a concern for my application.

MikeD

Summa's DC4 thermal resin printers will give you bigger graphics (i think the small model has a 24" print width,) and less operator interaction since you can load all your colors at once (up to 8 foils) and upon completion of the print, the machine will then cut the print. Thermal resin will give your prints better longevity without having to lam your job like you would with solvent.
They can also print process jobs with the foils that look pretty good.
They will send you samples if you ask.
Good Luck!

MikeD

another advantage of the Summa printers is the fact that they require little maintenance when compared to the Edges, and have a better method of cleaning your vinyl prior to laying down color. These are great machines!

moto1

Thanks Mike, I will look into the Summa as well. I also recieved a suggestion to also consider the Mimaki CJV30-60 24inch machine though Im not sure why it is so cheap being a printer/cutter at under 5000 USD.