• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small Print & Cut Jobs

signnation

Our company does a lot of very small and intricate digital print jobs. These jobs are all print, laminate and cut type jobs. We are currently using a Roland SP-540V and are having a very hard time getting perfect results. It was recommended to us to try and use a 60 degree blade and that may help. Any other recommendation would be very great.

We wonder if the problem is in the equipment and if a better machine would give us the better results we are looking for. If you are real happy with your printer/cutter or a separate printer and cutter set up I would love to hear your recommendation. I am wondering if the machines that use a separate cutter are a superior setup for this type of work.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ABPGraphics

We have a SP300v (Same as 540 just a 30 inch version) and I've come to learn that I can't always trust it to give me perfect cut results. Most of the time it will do jobs decently enough to get by but sometimes it runs so far off that it will totally ruin the prints. I've made a couple of posts on here about my cuts being off and nobody gave me a rock solid answer on how to improve it. I posted some pictures of the cuts being off and several people told me that if there printer was even as close as what my printer did they would be happy.

Blizare

If your prints are too long I find that adds to the error tolerance. On my sp540 I run lots of small decals and when the files are set up I make it work to my advantage. I'll print across the whole width with 200 stickers fitting in a 3' long piece. I also put a bleed on the decal with the cut path inset to give a little more room so you don't get white edges.

LittleSnakey

We found 2 things to be critical when contour cutting on our VP-540,

First, too much pressure will cause it to cut off, it will gradually cut worse and it continues the first items will be perfect and the last item the worst. cut will be off in all directions.

Second if the length is long enough to hit the floor it seem to jam the print into the ground causing it to cut off only in the length direction.

Also slowing the speed seems to help.

signwizz

there is a setting to correct horizontal and vertical centering for contour outlines its in the menu
shane

NotAPrinter

A few things to check:

1) Print cut calibration
2) Cutting blade depth
3) Proper blade and blade offset
4) Cutting speed may be too fast for the detail (slow down the cutting speed)
5) Material length. For the best results, I do not set up to print more than 20 - 24 inches at a time. The shorter the material, the more accurate the cut when it rolls back after printing.