Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Small shop customer needs a lighted sign box

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by Connie Fry, Dec 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Connie Fry

Connie Fry New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Wenatchee, WA
    I do mostly banners and wallpaper, but now I have a customer that wants a lighted sign box either 4x6' for 4x8'. Do most people make their own or buy it and just add vinyl? Who could I get that from?

Tags:
  2. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    First, you need to find out if it's even legal for you to sell. I don't know about Washington but in TX you can't sell lighted signs unless you are a licensed electrical sign contractor. You may need to check your states rules on that.

Are you just selling the lighted sign and giving it to them or are you installing?

Small shops buy lighted cabinets from wholesalers and decorate the faces themselves.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Any electrical sign must be UL or ETL listed. Do not make your own, you will set your self up for lawsuits and fines. There are hundreds of manufacturers across the US who make them. Just google LED box cabinet wholesaler.

4. Greg Kelm

Greg Kelm Member

Aug 20, 2019
    Rancho Cucamonga
    The enclosure has to be UL/ETL listed? Seems like just the electrical components would have to be compliant.

5. Connie Fry

Connie Fry New Member

Oct 18, 2016
    Wenatchee, WA
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I will leave this job for the professionals!

6. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    No you have to have a certified UL/ETL label on the exterior of the cabinet. Just having UL/ETL listed components in the cabinet does not make it legal. This can only be done by a certified UL/ETL company, you can ask bigger sign shops to certify it for you. They generally charge $200

7. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Well, ams is right, but: it is wholly dependent on where the sign is going. Some municipalities do not care, some require UL labels, but all require signs to be installed compliant with NEC. Most of our subs offer very cheap UL labeling, they just pocket the cash and do the paperwork, as they tend to manufacture everything to be UL compliant.