• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Small shop customer needs a lighted sign box

Connie Fry

I do mostly banners and wallpaper, but now I have a customer that wants a lighted sign box either 4x6' for 4x8'. Do most people make their own or buy it and just add vinyl? Who could I get that from?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
First, you need to find out if it's even legal for you to sell. I don't know about Washington but in TX you can't sell lighted signs unless you are a licensed electrical sign contractor. You may need to check your states rules on that.

Are you just selling the lighted sign and giving it to them or are you installing?

Small shops buy lighted cabinets from wholesalers and decorate the faces themselves.

ams

Any electrical sign must be UL or ETL listed. Do not make your own, you will set your self up for lawsuits and fines. There are hundreds of manufacturers across the US who make them. Just google LED box cabinet wholesaler.

Greg Kelm

www.cheetaprint.com
Any electrical sign must be UL or ETL listed. Do not make your own, you will set your self up for lawsuits and fines. There are hundreds of manufacturers across the US who make them. Just google LED box cabinet wholesaler.

The enclosure has to be UL/ETL listed? Seems like just the electrical components would have to be compliant.

Connie Fry

First, you need to find out if it's even legal for you to sell. I don't know about Washington but in TX you can't sell lighted signs unless you are a licensed electrical sign contractor. You may need to check your states rules on that.

Are you just selling the lighted sign and giving it to them or are you installing?

Small shops buy lighted cabinets from wholesalers and decorate the faces themselves.
Thanks for all the replies, I think I will leave this job for the professionals!

ams

The enclosure has to be UL/ETL listed? Seems like just the electrical components would have to be compliant.

No you have to have a certified UL/ETL label on the exterior of the cabinet. Just having UL/ETL listed components in the cabinet does not make it legal. This can only be done by a certified UL/ETL company, you can ask bigger sign shops to certify it for you. They generally charge $200