• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small shop vendor orders

Stacey K

I like making signs
One person shop here. As I try to be more efficient and more profitable I had been running into problems with placing more orders and sometimes paying more for shipping than I need to - and time wasted. This is due to not being organized like I should. I used to stack my job boxes in groups Art, Proof, etc on top of each other with a "sticky note list" of things that I need to order, etc. but then I'm going through boxes and it's a pain. Then I might have a couple jobs that are not rush jobs but they are small like 8 printed decals which can get nested with a larger job. Of course some of these I let go too long and I place 2-3 smaller orders instead of 1 large one. It's my own fault. I'm trying to fix this. I'm open to any ideas or methods. For the last couple weeks every order I get - or possible order - that comes in I write a quick note on a white board under each vendor I order from. The day I order I look the list over and make sure I have everything included or possibly wait one more day for a final OK on a proof etc. so I can place just one order. It's working pretty good so far but open to ideas on how others do this.

Vinyl/Substrates
-Toms Vinyl
-Concrete vinyl
-Realtor vinyl

Printed Vinyl
-Flag decals
-Steve race car
-Johns Truck

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I just order as the jobs come in so I don't forget. Sometimes that means I'm paying extra for additional deliveries but it's a small price and I like getting everything ordered when I get the job so I know it's done.

CanuckSigns

I usually order as needed, I find waiting to place orders leads to things being forgotten.

Either that or make 1 day a week your order days, if you don't have the job in by a certain date they either have to wait or pay the shipping cost, lots of industries do this.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Stacey, your system seems pretty good. For whiteboard and paper, that's probably a good approach.

In terms of profitability though, I would really look at what you stock. Are there 3 or 4 vinyls that could actually all be done with one vinyl? Are there substrates that could be consolidated?

The first way to lower inventory cost, is to lower the number of items you deal with.

Jeremiah

We limit the options that we offer. 90 % of the time the customer picks from one of our options. Then if we must order in a special small item, we just order additional items that we regularly use ( rolls of vinyl) to get free shipping .

Stacey K

I like making signs
Stacey, your system seems pretty good. For whiteboard and paper, that's probably a good approach.

In terms of profitability though, I would really look at what you stock. Are there 3 or 4 vinyls that could actually all be done with one vinyl? Are there substrates that could be consolidated?

The first way to lower inventory cost, is to lower the number of items you deal with.
Thank you, this is exactly what I need to do in terms of substrates and solid cut vinyl. I think people are more flexible than I give them credit for...especially if there's an extra cost involved with special orders or specific sizes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not trying to take business away from robert, but you might need to look closer as to what you're ordering..... how much and how often. Next the sizes would be best noted. You'll need to do an evaluation of how much you are spending in a week or a month and seriously think about bringing your printing in-house. Sure, it would be an expense, but if you needed to get a printer/cutter and a laminator. you could turn these things out instantly..... or almost instantaneously. Your quality control would instantly be at 100%. Turnaround 100%. and the list goes on. You are describing a real growing pain, which most people do not wanna face or acknowledge cause of the costs involved. If you are spending XX amount of dollars a week, take that out to a month and see if it would pay for the equipment ?? If space is a problem, there's ALWAYS a way around that. Even if you find some extra space at home or in a back room for the moment. You'll still need to schedule, but more along the lines of what you wanna run today or tomorrow, instead of what you wanna order today or tomorrow. You would not believe how much more you'd do, it you had the tools in your shop.

I know everyone who wholesales this stuff, does not do everything, cause sometimes it doesn't sound worth it. If you had the machine, you'd increase several hundred dollars worth of stuff a month having these things at your fingertips. Probably enough to pay the equipment costs.

FireSprint.com

I think people are more flexible than I give them credit for...especially if there's an extra cost involved with special orders or specific sizes.

Totally agree! Most people are pretty open to suggestion, especially if you are confident in what you say and are really giving them a better deal to use the "Stock stuff"

FireSprint.com

I'm not trying to take business away from robert, but you might need to look closer as to what you're ordering..... how much and how often. Next the sizes would be best noted. You'll need to do an evaluation of how much you are spending in a week or a month and seriously think about bringing your printing in-house. Sure, it would be an expense, but if you needed to get a printer/cutter and a laminator. you could turn these things out instantly..... or almost instantaneously. Your quality control would instantly be at 100%. Turnaround 100%. and the list goes on. You are describing a real growing pain, which most people do not wanna face or acknowledge cause of the costs involved. If you are spending XX amount of dollars a week, take that out to a month and see if it would pay for the equipment ?? If space is a problem, there's ALWAYS a way around that. Even if you find some extra space at home or in a back room for the moment. You'll still need to schedule, but more along the lines of what you wanna run today or tomorrow, instead of what you wanna order today or tomorrow. You would not believe how much more you'd do, it you had the tools in your shop.

I know everyone who wholesales this stuff, does not do everything, cause sometimes it doesn't sound worth it. If you had the machine, you'd increase several hundred dollars worth of stuff a month having these things at your fingertips. Probably enough to pay the equipment costs.

Gino, I kinda think you meant to reply to a different thread. I could be wrong....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, I kinda think you meant to reply to a different thread. I could be wrong....

Actually, my post could fit in a variety of threads going on at any given time, so thank you, but no, I meant it for this thread.

I'm not indicating this is what's happening, but something she could think about to prevent all these problems. Just food for thought.

:thankyou:

Stacey K

I like making signs
I have thought about doing my printing in-house (as Gino knows) but the timing was not right for me over the last couple years. I got divorced and sold a house, moved to another one, had just started my business, sent one off to college and had another at home with virtual schooling, and a lot of work/expenses that needed to be done on my rental/business property. My plate has been relatively full for much of the last couple years. Those projects and expenses are wrapped up now. I was afraid to add another expense and more headaches. Now, I'm caught up from April LOL and have really been trying to evaluate my business and how to be more profitable. A printer is next, but I need to evaluate - and frankly, get a bit more organized so I can maximize profits. I should have been better about this but life happened. So here I am, and all the advice is excellent and I'm going to use every bit of it I can!