• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small spring

trakers

I recently dropped the same type of spring on dark grey/brown commercial carpet. It was a friggin nightmare finding it since they are so tiny and blended in with the carpet.

Two tricks can help find small parts on floors though. The first was already mentioned, with a magnet. I have 4 rare-earth magnets I scrounged from 1980's vintage SCSI hardrives. These are the magnets that the head worked against. They are about 1" x .5" and they are really, really strong. So strong in fact that 100's have tried here in the shop but no one from the tiniest ladies to the manliest man has been successful in placing them together when lined up pole-pole. It is hilarious to see these big burly, corn-fed country boys laugh when you hand them to them only to listen to them grunt and groan trying. They can get them within a 1/4" but never touching.

These magnets will pull ferrous objects from a liong ways away. The only issue then is getting the found part off the magnet (The key is to slide them to the edge).

If you drop tiny parts on a flat floor you can use the "shadow" method to find them (It has a real name, just can't think of it right now)

With the lights out and having the room dark as possible, place a bright light source as close to the floor as possible and "scan" it around. Even little parts will cast a long shadow and, wha-la, there it is. I use this method all the time with excellent success.