Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small transformer for LED

Discussion in 'Electric Signs & Channel Letters' started by OADesign, Jan 16, 2014.

  1. OADesign

    OADesign Active Member

    Jan 27, 2006
    Hi All,

    Can you give me some suggestions on small transformers that you have used successfully.

    What I'm looking to do is light Single Channel Letters in a indoor application. One letter at a time. So I need the transformer to be small enough to be hidden inside of the letter.
    Something that will fit the standard 5"-6" return will be fine. But something that can fit inside of a smaller profile would be great if such an animal exists. I would like to take old individual letters and be able to retro fit it to use standard 120v power with a regular plug. I don't want to use the kind where the transformer is at the plug.

    Feel free to educate me on any details I may be missing.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  2. J Hill Designs

    J Hill Designs Major Contributor

    Sep 24, 2004
    Im sure theres quite a few small form LED PSU's out there. 20W from maxbrite is like 1.5"x2.5"
  3. Mosh

    Mosh Major Contributor

    Oct 19, 2009
    I use Hanley, Grimco sells them, I am sure there are 1,000 others out there.
  4. MikePro

    MikePro Major Contributor

    Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    just clip the head off an old cellphone charger and wire it directly to the LEDs. (just look at the back of the charger, the one you need should spec. 12v)
    I've got a string in a lightbox we made for fun here at the shop, approx. 3ft. long. It has been running off my old Nokia Cellphone charger, during business hours, for the past 2 years.

    edited: whoops, just noticed you say you don't want the kind with the transformer in the plug. useless post+1:banghead:

Share This Page