• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Small transformer for LED

OADesign

Hi All,

Can you give me some suggestions on small transformers that you have used successfully.

What I'm looking to do is light Single Channel Letters in a indoor application. One letter at a time. So I need the transformer to be small enough to be hidden inside of the letter.
Something that will fit the standard 5"-6" return will be fine. But something that can fit inside of a smaller profile would be great if such an animal exists. I would like to take old individual letters and be able to retro fit it to use standard 120v power with a regular plug. I don't want to use the kind where the transformer is at the plug.

Feel free to educate me on any details I may be missing.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MikePro

just clip the head off an old cellphone charger and wire it directly to the LEDs. (just look at the back of the charger, the one you need should spec. 12v)
I've got a string in a lightbox we made for fun here at the shop, approx. 3ft. long. It has been running off my old Nokia Cellphone charger, during business hours, for the past 2 years.

edited: whoops, just noticed you say you don't want the kind with the transformer in the plug. useless post+1:banghead: