• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

small width laminate on a roll?

max

I am doing some real gold leaf vinyl striping and some clear laminate to put over it.
with anyone know of a source to get 2" laminate on a roll?
I have to do like 200 feet of striping on a boat, so was trying to cut that much laminate off of a full roll...
thanks for any advice

max

Meant to say trying NOT to cut that much laminate off a roll.
sorry typing on a phone.....

max

Thanks Pat. Looks like I am gonna have to do that.
Just dont really need another roll of laminate.
Thanks

max

Thats a damn fine idea Pat. I will research that tomorrow.
Thanks so much for you help...

max

Hey, just had a revelation.... anyone think it would be okay to use clear vinyl as a laminate over signgold vinyl to seal it down?
was thinking of using oracal 951 or 751 clear vinyl in a 1.5" wide strip to cover my 1" wide signgold striping (1/4" overhang on each side of stripe so stripe wont start to edge curl)
could anyone please tell me if this is a bad idea....
thanks to all

jfiscus

Rap Master
I'm sure your 200' of signgold is not one continuous piece, but smaller pieces cut out from one roll side by side, so your laminate should be able to be cut the same way...

I always cut and weed the vinyl - leaving my registration marks, then laminate the material and cut it again with the 1/4" overhang and the "finished" material is ready for installation in one shot. Applying laminate after the graphic is on the vehicle seems to be adding another step to the install and another place where you could mess up. Getting wavy/stretched is common installing thin laminate or getting bubbles/imperfect laminate adhesion once you're on-site.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When you said 'real' gold leaf, I couldn't figure why you were looking for a vinyl laminate ?? Now you say signgold. That's just a vinyl, so I'd use any cast laminate you want. Cut it in sections like mentioned and seam it every so many feet or so. Using real gold would require a real clearcoat, not laminate.