• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smallest / least expensive latex printer (maybe?)

Subysti

Looking to start doing small wraps for powersports ie, snowmobiles, motorcycles quad etc... After all the reading it seems latex is the way to go if you're not printing on a daily basis as the solvent heads will clog up. I was looking at a Mutoh VJ 628 but that is eco solvent so not sure I should go that route. I've looked at used latex and it seems most people run them til they die or are obsolete. What advice can you all offer as a good printer to start with for this??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based upon your profile, I'd say farm it out, get your feet wet and then start looking for something of your own. You have absolutely no history for this stuff and you don't offer any information on your level of experience in doing this kinda work. You'd be foolish to jump into the deep end..... head first not knowing anything about what you wanna do..

You'll need software, a laminator and a myriad of other things, not to mention customers.

Subysti

I've farmed out in the past or tried. The issue is that these are so low priced that no one will do for a reasonable price where I can have any profit at all. I've been designing for many years, have a lot of years experience with other printers and plotters just not vehicle wraps. I already have quite a few customers asking me to do stuff already so that's why I'm starting up.

Subysti

The issue is around here the few places that print will charge me what they would sell for retail unless I can guarantee a certain volume which I can't since I'm just starting.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
The issue is around here the few places that print will charge me what they would sell for retail unless I can guarantee a certain volume which I can't since I'm just starting.

Well they are retail and not wholesale. Look into online wholesalers.

signs365
signs2trade

Jburns

Will your customers wish to hit the neon and bright colors for MX, snowmobile etc.?
IF so --
IMO These rich colors are best hit with a solvent machine with orange / red inks like a S80600 or similar. Find a shop what can wholesale print these out for you- build a relationship. They also need a strong cutter for the 18-20 mil materials - like a flatbed graphtec or summa T class for best results.
Check out how its made Split Designs video

ikarasu

Doesn't the orange ink only last 4-6 months before fading in the S80600? If so I wouldn't advise wrapping with it... I'd convince my customers to do a slightly less neon wrap that will last 5-10 years.

JoeDG

Wide format trainer and creative enthusiast
Orange ink in the new Roland Truevis VG2 lasts a lot longer than the Epson if that helps

BVG

Doesn't the orange ink only last 4-6 months before fading in the S80600? If so I wouldn't advise wrapping with it... I'd convince my customers to do a slightly less neon wrap that will last 5-10 years.

When we did a demo last month Epson told us the Orange and Red have the same life span as regular CMYK. I think it was the previous generation that had issues.

CanuckSigns

I printed an orange and red swatch off our s80600 about a year ago and stuck it on the back door of my shop that faces south, so far no fading compared to the samples I kept indoors in a dark place (drawer)

stxrmxn

Looking to start doing small wraps for powersports ie, snowmobiles, motorcycles quad etc... After all the reading it seems latex is the way to go if you're not printing on a daily basis as the solvent heads will clog up. I was looking at a Mutoh VJ 628 but that is eco solvent so not sure I should go that route. I've looked at used latex and it seems most people run them til they die or are obsolete. What advice can you all offer as a good printer to start with for this??
Cannot outsource this kind of work unless you have a very good relationship with your supplier. The nature of MX graphics is one of many single panel reprints, either because the customer has fitted it wrong, made a mistake thinking his plastics were a certain year when they were another, sections lifting, the list goes on and on. You need to be able to reprint at short notice. A small roland print cut will work to start with, as long as you have genuine Roland Sandblast blades you can contour cut MX laminate just fine.

ikarasu

Interesting. If orange and red lasts that's good. My next printer may be an epson, I've been thinking about getting one to go alongside my latex!

Ive always hated solvents and their expensive heads. But so long as I'm the only one touching it I'm not worried. I'd never buy one and have employees who don't care about strikes touch it again though... Learned my lesson on that one.