• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Smart cards?

Trimtint

Are these coded for individual colors ? IE my cyan says out i have ton of ink left, Can i put a magenta card on it and get it to work?

im gonna beat this mutoh to death if "my salesman" still worked there id kick him in the nutz

Snapper

randya

Are these coded for individual colors ? IE my cyan says out i have ton of ink left, Can i put a magenta card on it and get it to work?

im gonna beat this mutoh to death if "my salesman" still worked there id kick him in the nutz

Snapper

Yes, cards are programed for ink type and ink color, so no you cant put a magenta card on a cyan and put it it in the cyan slot.

There are many reasons that a card may indicate an incorrect cartidge ink amount:
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/95/

If you have smart card issues please contact your dealer with your printer serial # and what was going on that might have caused the issue.

Trimtint

I have done that. Now just waiting for a return phone call from Mutoh. Now the old VJ1604 decided to dump all its cyan after we got the new cards from mutoh 5 cards of witch 1 was BAD again. Maybe we should have gone Roland. Lots of complaints on these smart cards must be a remedy somehow. just a sim card christ my 40 dollar phone has one and has never had problems also been removed way more times than the ink cartriges have.

Snapper

Trimtint

Wow mutoh just plain out sucks Brian Armeta is a real Knob I want his job he obviously dosent have to do anything. Ignore customer calls complaints and my distributor who actually seems to kinda care. I will never purchase another mutoh product seeing as how they treat there customers. Brian if you read this I wanna Kick You In The Nutz!

Snapper

Sign Magic

Trimtint, why don't you purchase a new ink cartridge and use it until you get your problem resolved?

The problem you may be having is that on some Mutohs if you remove and replace an ink cartridge more than 12 times the ink cartridge will shut down. Yes, the only thing you can do for that is replace the smart card.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded the firmware in my valuejet 1204. The upgrade wiped out the smart cards on the ink cartridges. Mutoh sent me new smart cards.

I oulined the location of the old smart cards on the side of the ink cartridges, pulled the old cards off and replaced them with the ones Mutoh sent me. Everything is back to normal now.

I am sorry you are having problems with your Mutoh 1604. I would really like to have a 1604 because it does things the 1204 cannot do.

You may need some training or you may have got a lemon. If your printer is close to new (less than a year old) it should still be under warrenty and you should be able to call Mutoh for a free service call at your site.

Last edited:

3dsignco

Try Moving the Smart Card Location. I noticed that if I moved the card a hair forward about 7/16 from the end seems to work good. Most of the time when I get an error its due to the Smart card being set too far back or its cockeyed.. Have had a few bad cards but most of the time its location.

MacDaddy

Motoh actually treats their customers very well... You must first go thru the troubleshooting process with whomever you bought the printer from... A reputable dealer will have a Mutoh Trained staff of techs who can walk you very quickly thru this and order on-site service if needed for your machine... If you buy from a reputable company you get these services at no cost... JMO