Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoked Transparent Vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl' started by AGO, Mar 29, 2013.

1. AGO

AGO New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Hey All! I have been working on smoked lights for cars for many years now but the only transparent vinyl I can find is from Oracal. Great product but it only gives me the ability to choose between 2 colors. I have seen competitors start offering darker shades but can't find out who the manufacturer is. Does anyone know of other transparent vinyls? I look forward to your responses, thanks!

Tags:
  2. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

i also use 8300 but haven't seen any others out there.
    Would be awesome if there was a cast one

3. AGO

AGO New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Ok, interesting. I have seen several people selling "unbranded" vinyl lately. If you ask them they obviously won't tell you who makes it. Not sure if you have experienced it, but many customers are looking for something darker than what we offer now. I also don't like that the oracal material is branded on the backing paper. I wish it also had more of a charcoal tone to it opposed to the brownish tone it can give off.

4. splizaat

splizaat Very Active Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Pac NW
    8300. We double it up if it needs to be super dark, although it gives off a silverish appearance in certain lighting up close.

Even tho it's not cast, it heats and stretches surprisingly well.

5. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Use tinted automotive clear coat. This allows you to make as dark or light as the client demands. Super durable too.

6. AGO

AGO New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Thanks rjssigns, I do agree that the automotive clear is a great way to tint lights. I looks great too. However, I am looking for materials that I can remove from lights if needed. Vinyl is great for people if they need their lights returned to stock.

7. signpost-boston

signpost-boston Making America great, one sign at a time.

Jul 18, 2010
    Boston, Ma.
    lets see, make people's lo-rider, fuzzy dice, rattle box import, tail lights darker so i can ram them and watch my insurance go up. Awesome.

8. klingsdesigns

klingsdesigns Very Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Wisconsin
    That doesn't fly around here. Cops will get you the second they see you.

9. 401Graphics

401Graphics Very Active Member

I got tinted tail lights and window tint on my car. Cops don't stop me for it. However I did get stopped for speeding, and the cop told me the window tint was illegal, i just played dumb and said i would remove it. never did. and if i had to it would be back on the car with in a few days.

Attached Files:

10. watchdaride

watchdaride Member

Dec 20, 2008
    orlando fl
    expel make a 12 mil one great for the lights with curves and a bit darker than oracale . Price also 40X more than oracale though but saves time . Will go around any corner easily dpoing an altima tomorrow . Will post a pic later .