Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smooth cuts in Alumalite

Discussion in 'CNC Routing & Laser Cutting' started by Stonehouse, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Jamestown
    Hi.
    Just cut some shapes out of 1/4 in. Alumalite and as usual I find that the corrugated plastic doesn't leave a very smooth finish. Any suggestions on spindle rate and type of bit to get the best cut. I used a straight 1/4" bit at 18000rpm spindle rate..
    Thanks.

Tags:
  2. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Which direction are you going???

I found that changing the direction of the cut helped a lot in reducing the number of the "flags" left by the corrugated plastic. I cut with a 1/4" end mill at 21,000rpm.

3. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    I have the same thing. Haven't come with ant thing that works yet, I usually just take a utility knife and trim as best as I can.

4. Dennis Raap

Dennis Raap Active Member

Oct 5, 2003
    USA
    I have to cut some tomorrow I will try your settings Matthew.

5. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Jamestown
    I've gone both ways (so to speak) conventional and climb milling and found climb to be a little better.

6. jayhawksigns

jayhawksigns Very Active Member

Jan 8, 2005
    Kansas
    Yep, its better but still no cure for the problem. Thats why I prefer using Dibond like material or solid aluminum.

7. Stonehouse

Stonehouse Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Jamestown
    Thanks, everyone for your input.

8. PMG

PMG Very Active Member

Feb 1, 2005