• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snowmobile/ motorsports wrap/graphics templates question

Ok so I have purchased some templates for sled wraps from a few places and non of them seem to fit to my liking.. I have made some templates myself before by using clear lam and tracing areas with sharpie and then cutting them and making lines and then scanning them in and tracing the lines after on Illy... But my question is, is there a better easier way to make them? I have seen some people make the templates and then take a picture. I tried this and the result was not that great. Any tips, trick, advice or secrets would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

reQ

Nope, no easier way. I do have 2 sleds sitting in my shop right now. All areas that i will be adding to the template will be done with pre-mask tape & pencil. After that all pieces getting stuck on white board, writing real measurement for every piece. After that, simply snap a picture with the phone, drag it to software, trace & size it up. Takes time, but for me its worth it when you see that your customers getting 30-50% more coverage compare to competition wraps whos using regular templates.

reQ

Here is the difference for example on RMK template that you can get online & the one with addons.
attachment.php

Attachments

• rmk.jpg
    rmk.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,141
I was thinking about how someone should make a digitizer that you can make use to template with.. So on the big panels how do you get everything to line up right after?? Thats is the part i get confused with..

reQ

Well, that depends on how good you did with tracing. I am doing it for 2nd year already and my stencils are usually spot on after 1st try, but sometimes still need some adjustments.

What i would suggest you to do - cut your template from cheap vinyl, install it, then trace pieces that you would like to add, that way you will see where it has to be.

reQ

I was thinking about how someone should make a digitizer that you can make use to template with..

Its already done - 3d scanners. Scanning model all the way around & unwrapping it on flat surface after (would be familiar if worked with 3ds Max or Maya)

rjssigns

I was thinking about how someone should make a digitizer that you can make use to template with.. So on the big panels how do you get everything to line up right after?? Thats is the part i get confused with..

They do. It's called a CMM arm. Like this: http://hexagonmetrology.us/products/portable-measuring-arms

Here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Infinite-2-...24-/181902787749?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Can bet your bottom dollar the folks generating templates are using them.

Yeah I have used a Romer before.. But I am saying like a stylus that you run along the edge of a snowmobile hood say and its linked wireless to say illustrator to full scale.. basically like a wacom stylus.

rjssigns

Yeah I have used a Romer before.. But I am saying like a stylus that you run along the edge of a snowmobile hood say and its linked wireless to say illustrator to full scale.. basically like a wacom stylus.

Without a three dimensional spatial reference the stylus won't know "where" it is. Working within a laser "cloud" and receptors on the stylus would probably work to give you the needed reference. Neat idea though.

Cabinet shops use a digitizer where you pull out a string and touch all relevant points. This tether satisfies the requirement of a spatial reference. It auto generates files as you go. It would be the closest to what you want.

[video=youtube;PwYUSfpsqrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwYUSfpsqrY[/video]

Get Lucky

Been doing this for a couple years already. Mask drawn in the design you want and scan them in. I don't like camera photos they end up distorting the file because of the lens and then you have to scale them. Scanning brings them into scale right off the bat. Have the new Polaris sitting in the garage right now getting the missing pieces made. It sucks but after a doing it a couple times the wife is getting really fast.:omg:

reQ

Been doing this for a couple years already. Mask drawn in the design you want and scan them in. I don't like camera photos they end up distorting the file because of the lens and then you have to scale them. Scanning brings them into scale right off the bat. Have the new Polaris sitting in the garage right now getting the missing pieces made. It sucks but after a doing it a couple times the wife is getting really fast.:omg:

Your wife is doing stencil work for ya? Lucky you! :Big Laugh

rjssigns

You know it. I'm just the grunt. Fix all the problems. Do all the work. She can sit behind the computer all day.:Oops: Did is say that out loud?:notworthy:

You are not alone.

Of course without her running the money side of things the IRS would probably have me on speed dial.

Do you have a large format scanner? I have to cut all the damn pieces that wont fit in the scanner and make these stupid reference marks to line them up and trace in Illy. Its time consuming. And I also tried the photo method and i found the same as you. If the camera isnt perfectly in plane with the white board it can mess it all up.. Ugh has to be a better way.

ExecuPrintGS

Attachments

• WP_20150820_010.jpg
    WP_20150820_010.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 710

Get Lucky

Do you have a large format scanner? I have to cut all the damn pieces that wont fit in the scanner and make these stupid reference marks to line them up and trace in Illy. Its time consuming. And I also tried the photo method and i found the same as you. If the camera isnt perfectly in plane with the white board it can mess it all up.. Ugh has to be a better way.

I do the same. I'm to small to afford a large scanner. The other option if you are doing a lot is FedEx kinkos has one and they charge by the foot. We have more time than money so we scan in on 11x17.