• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So a guy brought me some Oracal 651 to wrap his car....

TimToad

We just know this personality type too well to risk our reputation on them going around town or online bad mouthing us because the top quality vinyl kit they bought failed and it just had to be the installer's fault.

I had a guy with a $100k Porsche want us to install a kit for him and I simply told him that we'd do it but unless we produce the graphics, we would make him sign a waiver releasing us from any harm or graphics failure. He moseyed down the road and I'm sure one of our competitors did it without blinking.

TheSnowman

I flat out refuse to install other people's vinyl...espeically when they want it to run through my equipment. If they have something they bought that I can't get the rights to reproduce that they need installed, that's different, but that's a red flag that they're a cheap skate if they bring you their own roll.

Had a guy I've never done business with before call me last week as I was literally walking out the door to go to a big job for two days and he said "I have the vinyl, and the artwork here ready to go, if I come by in 5 mins can you do it while I wait?" I was like...HA! You're dreamin! I told him I wasn't interested in his job, and I don't use other people's vinyl. He was baffled that I wouldn't drop what I was doing to do this strangers job. I'm sure he expected me to do it for $5 since he gave me everything and all I had to do was "click cut". So tired of people right now...had this a lot more for some reason than in the last 5 years.

Billct2

I install other peoples garbage! Why not?
I'm not worried about my reputation, but I hate losing money/wasting time.
Installing someone elses crap graphics can only lead to problems.
We will install corporate graphics kits for clients, but that's a whole different animal.

decalman

I have on occasion installed other people stuff, and with great success, and customer satisfaction. It's enhanced my reputation to cater to the clients needs and wants.

If the graphic fails, the customer knows, totally...that its not my fault.
And also, If the graphics do fail, the client takes the complaint back to the bad guy, he bought it from.

Next question???

:popcorn:

TheFreshPrints

You suck.

LOL did you just go through my account and dislike posts because I disliked yours that added zero value to this thread? A member since 2006 who acts like they were born in 2006:Big Laugh

BACK ON TOPIC
We refuse to install other peoples vinyl as well. Aside from the fact that we are a vinyl shop and that is the product we sell, there is too much risk of the product failing and us being on the hook for it. Every customer I've had request an install only job has sub-par materials and an attitude right from the start. Qualifying the customer is always important, and a cheap *** who's just trying to use me and beat me up on labor cost is not a customer worth having.

If it's a good customer of ours, we'll give them crap about not buying it from us, but help them out to maintain the relationship.

Last edited:

striper14

I tell em my hourly rate & my philosophy for theses type of jobs " All Care but no Responsibility "...I've had material that makes 651 look like top of the line & Avery 900 air release, you just cant tell what they sell on the net.. you just need to closely inspect the material to show the client the wrinkles, tears, pieces missing etc before you start...and get money up front..

gabagoo

A guy I work with took on a job for a rather large hotel chain and they had pre cut graphics ready to be installed. They were 3M dusted crystal graphics...about 6 - 10 pieces about 48" x 96". I have always warned him about taking on jobs that you are working with someone else's product and design...How do you fix a problem especially if you never created the graphics?

In any case I get a call on my day off while golfing, and sure enough it is this guy and he sounds frustrated and tells me he can't remove the vinyl off the backing paper ( actually it is the synthetic liner) He tried re squeegeeing it and fussing with it. I told him to stop and leave it until Monday and bring it to my shop to look it over.

He brought them in and who ever made these graphics had done a fine job, the pre mask was flawless and everything looked fine to me. I tried removing the film and just like my experience with 3M 7725 vinyl it refused to come away from the synthetic liner. I told him to forget about using this vinyl, it is toast. Find out how old it is.

The hotel had the graphics for over 2 years!!!! Paper backed film might have been OK but synthetic liner?...Nope Never

It just is not worth the time or the energy to deal with 3rd party graphics, unless you know where they came from and have access to the files