• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So Frustrated Please Help

Hot Vinyl

Hot Vinyl
Hey guys I am reaching out to you again. I Pray someone can help me. I have done so much to this 1204 Mutoh VJ and it is still not working. It stated with loosing my black in Dec. So I changed out the head. it worked for about 2 to 2.5 weeks. And then started to loose the black again. I have changed the dampers and the cables to the head as well as the capping to the maintenance station. It seemed to maybe be getting better but now. I have another problem. It unit will do a cleaning but then when I go to print or do a nozzle check the carriage goes to the middle almost and stops. It doesn't print anything and it won't move. It actually won't even power off. I did notice when I open the cover it will move back to the maintenance station and then when I close it it goes back to the same stop it stopped at. I have taken out the chip and it seemed to like reset it but then it just keeps happening and now taking out the chip doesn't help.

Oh if anyone can please help me I would be so grateful. I am so confused and at my wits end.

Thank you
HotVinyl.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you have an older version of the 1204 that has the removable memory board, remove the board, air dust the terminal, and re-install. I've seen a dirty memory board terminal cause strange issues like this. I also would recommend just unplugging the machine and letting it discharge for about half an hour which you will want to do when cleaning the terminal anyway.

Hot Vinyl

Hot Vinyl
If you have an older version of the 1204 that has the removable memory board, remove the board, air dust the terminal, and re-install. I've seen a dirty memory board terminal cause strange issues like this. I also would recommend just unplugging the machine and letting it discharge for about half an hour which you will want to do when cleaning the terminal anyway.
Thank you for replying I have done all of the suggestions. Is there anything else that I can look at. I have it discharging right now and the chip out but I am not sure it will help. I have another main board that is used but thought it might just be something simple.

Could it be a fuse?
I cleaned the encoder stripe as well.
Thank you
HotVinyl

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you for replying I have done all of the suggestions. Is there anything else that I can look at. I have it discharging right now and the chip out but I am not sure it will help. I have another main board that is used but thought it might just be something simple.

Could it be a fuse?
I cleaned the encoder stripe as well.
Thank you
HotVinyl

I think it's definitely a main board issue so trying the other board could do the trick. The fact that it's trying to do something and freezing tells me that the CPU or related parts are failing. It might just be bad memory too. If the other board has a memory board in it, try swapping it into the problem board. If it works it might save you some time trying to change out the entire main board.

Hot Vinyl

Hot Vinyl
I think it's definitely a main board issue so trying the other board could do the trick. The fact that it's trying to do something and freezing tells me that the CPU or related parts are failing. It might just be bad memory too. If the other board has a memory board in it, try swapping it into the problem board. If it works it might save you some time trying to change out the entire main board.
Thanks unfortunately I have tried switching the memory around so I think I will try and change out the board. Thank you for your insight. I will keep you posted.

Bill DiStasio

Hey guys I am reaching out to you again. I Pray someone can help me. I have done so much to this 1204 Mutoh VJ and it is still not working. It stated with loosing my black in Dec. So I changed out the head. it worked for about 2 to 2.5 weeks. And then started to loose the black again. I have changed the dampers and the cables to the head as well as the capping to the maintenance station. It seemed to maybe be getting better but now. I have another problem. It unit will do a cleaning but then when I go to print or do a nozzle check the carriage goes to the middle almost and stops. It doesn't print anything and it won't move. It actually won't even power off. I did notice when I open the cover it will move back to the maintenance station and then when I close it it goes back to the same stop it stopped at. I have taken out the chip and it seemed to like reset it but then it just keeps happening and now taking out the chip doesn't help.

Oh if anyone can please help me I would be so grateful. I am so confused and at my wits end.

Thank you
HotVinyl.
I wonder if you flashed or initialize the printer after changing parts and cables. I don't know about Mutoh, but most models seem to need have that done in some fashion.

netsol

Bill, the flash is not s bad idea, HOWEVER
HE SHOULD NOT swap system board, swap memory and flash in rapid succession.
We want to avoid a situstion making things worse and not being able to get back to the previous state

Lets move slowly and get this right. Change the system board,check everything out (better? No improvement? Working but with a new problem?)

I don't have vanderj's mutoh experience but my first thought was possibly power supply not staying up. I yield to his experience, though

Hot Vinyl

Hot Vinyl
Thanks guys. I put in the other board yesterday and need to put in a fan and then I can check it out. I pray that it gets it back to the ink issue and nothing else then I can work on that. Like you said hopefully no more new problems.

I'll keep you guys posted. I really appreciate all your help. This is what this forum is suppose to be about.

God bless
HotVinyl (Diane)

netsol

i will keep an eye on this thread.
Hot Vinyl, one step at a time those are a very good machine, you will be glad you did the repair when it is done

be patient, and only change one thing at a time

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't have vanderj's mutoh experience but my first thought was possibly power supply not staying up. I yield to his experience, though

With these machines you can almost never rule anything out but in my experience, when the power board goes out on a ValueJet it usually just doesn't turn on, or it turns on for a few seconds and then turns off. I'm thinking the main board will do the trick. The power board connects to the main board and then the board distributes power to the motors, heads etc. The fact that there are no error codes popping up means the encoder is being read properly and the motors aren't being physically impeded. The only thing left really is the main board not functioning properly.

Mutoh doesn't really have a flash function for the board. You could upgrade the firmware to the latest version but that's about it.