• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So... I guess I am getting into screen printing

showcase 66

So...what you're saying is that your wife spent $6500 without even discussing the idea with you first?????? :omg:

I'm not saying that there's something wrong with her spending money without 'consulting' with you, or getting 'permission' first...but $6500??????
That's an aweful lot of money to a working stiff!!! A couple hundred bucks is one thing, but that's a pile of bills there!!!! (or...are you guys loaded???$$$)

I'd have locked up the wheels, and thrown up in the ditch!!!! (and she wouldda followed it!!!) :frustrated:

That's definately NOT the way we run our marriage.

The BEST of LUCK to you & your wife on your new business venture. Hope it works for yas!!!

I should have mentioned that we just sold her business about 4 months ago and we have been talking about it for a while.
Now if she told me she spent that on clothes or something like that, then there might have been two more crosses on the side of the road from flying off the side.

She mentioned on the way up about looking into it more while we were there. Her sister was here two weeks ago with her system and got my wife even more interested in it. I figured she would find what she wanted and come home and find the best price and would probably be at the beginning of the year before she decided.

As for being loaded, ahhh no. We have been able to save quite a bit and with selling her business, we now have a pretty good nest egg.

DNeeld

Flame says heat transfer materials crack. I believe just the opposite. My 3 girls have tshirts and sweatshirts GALORE and the only ones I EVER see cracking are the screen printed ones. The heat pressed ones look as good 5 years down the road as they did when they came off the press.

This is because there is an overabundance of screenprinters, but only a small handful of good ones. Really drags down the industry standard. A properly set up and executed screenprint will out live the shirt itself.

Here is the info on it.
I am curious to see it when it arrives.

Personally, I would strongly encourage you to return the Xpresscreen equipment. Not to sound negative, but it is pretty much junk, designed and built for a hobbyist at best.

If screenprinting is something you and your wife are serious about adding to your business, contact a name brand, such as Vastex, Antec, or M&R and get one of their setups. The initial cost will be about twice as much as you paid, but it will be worth every penny. You'll get equipment that can handle about anything you want to do, can grow with your business, and if things don't work out, has incredible resale value (you can resell a Vastex 2000HD press easily for 85% of what you paid for it, even years after you purchased it).

If this does take off for you, you will quickly outgrow the Xpresscreen equipment. If it doesn't, you are going to have a tough time unloading the equipment.

Best of luck to you.

WildWestDesigns

I have been back and forth with myself as to whether or not to break down and buy a screen printer but I always come back to the question "how long will it take me to make back the money I spent on the equipment" and then I come back to the infamous "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Just my humble opinion.

I'm in the same boat at times as that above. I do heat transfer and sublimation on shirts and have always had good results and people actually have come back and bought more of the same shirt(personal purchases, not bulk ones) because they liked how it turned out.

I might get it eventually just to be able to offer that service when I do need to instead of turning away some business, but I get more of the heat transfer and sublimatin for sure. I even do heat transfer vinyl, that seems to be another big order that I do. I'm having to do an order of 50 promo products, 2 color heat transfer vinyl right now.

gaterspit

Just shoot her.

I have been a screen printer for 35 years. I bought the book by scott and pat fresner's How to print tee shirts for fun and profit. I started in my 10x20 garage and built a 4 color press out of plywood and a boat swivel seat. I was off to the races!! I have been blessed with a artistic talent and can pretty much draw, illustrate and design just about anything. I have enjoyed this labor intensive living, maybe for the attention. I have a 6 color automatic that can churn out 400 pieces per hour, being the owner I can slut the work out cheap which is usually what happens. Four years ago I jumped into digital printing, vehicle wraps, signs ( I am also a sign painter since the early 70's) which makes more money than screen printing. I will advise you to send that junk back. I just sold a complete shop (a soccer coach friend) for 2300. Never buy any manual under 6 colors. With a four color press you are limited with colors to print especially if printing on darks when a underbase is necessary. It is hard to make a design look colorful when you have already used black and white ink and there are only 2 heads left. I know she was just trying to help, maybe someday digital shirt printers will become as fast as an auto when printing on darks. Usually one every 10 to 15 seconds.

Mosh

I have three multi color multi, platen machines....I got tire of "I just need oe more shirt" so there they sit, BTW they are not for sale, I get asked at least once a week... GOOD LUCK! The reason I don't sell them is I would not wish that on anyone...LOL