• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So, I just bought a Flatbed Printer....

jnataros

Just bought a Virtu RS 25 printer... going to be installed next week (if all goes according to plan...)
the flatbed: http://www.wp-digital.com/index.php?id=110&L=1

Any general flatbed printer 'heads up' warnings that I should know coming from a roll-to-roll printer?

I'm really excited to do 4'x8' boards with UV ink... it sounds terribly incredible to print direct to boards for once!

Josh Nataros

artbot

awesome, congratulations!

what features caused you to pic this model over the other competitors?

jnataros

I loved that it could do a 4'8 board inside the machine by moving the head and not the media, but you can do 8' wide and infinitely long as long as you have a large enough building.

We plan on our first real print being 8'x40' for our wall hehe :D

so, x-y head movement, or just x movement for roll media or larger media than 4x8

according to FLAAR: "No other combo UV printer in the world can print on the transport table in both X and Y directions."

Josh

PS. and media up to 4inches thick is nice......

artbot

i've read about them. it's supposed to be an amazing machine. plus, you can "walk" around inside your printer.

so it does both stationary gantry and also x direction gantry. ...i still don't understand the advantage of y direction as well. it's probably obvious. i've put in a 12 hour day on 3 hours of sleep. ...

jnataros

i've read about them. it's supposed to be an amazing machine. plus, you can "walk" around inside your printer.

so it does both stationary gantry and also x direction gantry. ...i still don't understand the advantage of y direction as well. it's probably obvious. i've put in a 12 hour day on 3 hours of sleep. ...

print accuracy is apparently higher when the print head can control printing over a very still media... I personally enjoy the idea of printing a 4x8 inside of the machine without having media feeding in and out. It just seems more efficient to me.... perhaps not significantly better; but it just seems nice to have it all enclosed. Throw in a board and go kind of printing :)

Josh

jnataros

Nice lookin unit. Just can't be cheap, can't be. I sure wouldn't want to bring that through a second story window.

hahaha! that would be tough.

we have a 90'x50' first floor space for it that has 25' wide garage doors at both ends. Installation should be cake. When it's in the area we are installing glass walls and clean room floors and ceilings around the device and working area.

Josh

ForgeInc

Wow, never heard of that machine, must be expensive! Don't have to share if don't wanna, but curious to know how much. What about service? Are techs gonna need to fly in? Or do you have local support?

jnataros

Wow, never heard of that machine, must be expensive! Don't have to share if don't wanna, but curious to know how much. What about service? Are techs gonna need to fly in? Or do you have local support?

including renovations and building costs.... ~600k. I'm having someone fly in to help do install.

J

PS. looking for someone in the area who might be interested in working with us to maintain this machine on a daily basis.... anyone want some part time work? haha